First of all: I'm pretty much new to linux in general so I'm sorry when I forget some essential details in my problem description.
My problem is that while trying to install LMDE 201204 MATE/Cinnamon 64 bit the screen turns black so I can't go on. I use a Thinkpad L420 laptop (screen1) with a second monitor (screen2) attached via docking station.
So here's what happens in detail:
1. "Automatic boot in x seconds..." countdown appears on screen1.
2. Some messages incuding warnings and one failure are displayed (see pictures 01 and 02). First they appear only on screen1. But right in the middle, they change to screen2. Screen1 turns black.
3. Screen2 turns black but with the white mouse arrow in the middle.
4. Two seconds later: Screen2 says "signal lost". Screen1 still black. But DVD is still loading data.
5. After some seconds the DVD stops. Both screens show blackness.
6. I press the "on/off" switch on my laptop. Screen2 reactivates and shows messages (picture 03). The DVD gets ejected.
7. I press ENTER and the laptop shuts down but without LMDE installed
Okay, so here is what I've tried so far:
- Reloaded and burnt the *.iso. Did a MD5sum check before and verified the DVD.
- Unplugged screen two from docking station
- Used just the laptop out of docking station
All of this didn't change a thing. What's really strange: Even without screen2, screen1 stays black in the above steps 3.-7. all the time. This means that I wouldn't get to know the messages from Pictures 02 and 03 if I hadn't got a second screen!
Some additional info about my system:
- I got Windows 7 installed on my laptop and just yesterday successfully installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a second HDD with is connected to the docking station via firewire. No problem there. Also Ubuntu can't be a problem for the LMDE live-DVD because I also tried it with the Ubuntu HDD unplugged.
- Just Intel onboard graphics (HD3000). No dedicated NVIDIA card or something.
I hope someone can help me out because I'd really love to try out LMDE.