[solved] Changing the "labels" of the entries in grub?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[solved] Changing the "labels" of the entries in grub?

Postby gosa on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:43 am

Hi all,

I don't know if I used the right "lingo" in the title, but maybe it will clear itself up explaining what I have/want to do:

Installed both LMDE XFCE & LMDE Mate/Cinnamon onto the same hard drive for "testing" purposes. The reason I did two different installs was to not clutter one single install up with duplicate stuff. I'm leaning towards running XFCE on it, since I suspect that the netbook might not be strong enough for Cinnamon (my graphics I suppose). I still want to try it out for a bit.

Anyway - After downloading and installing the pae-kernels for each of these two OS's I now have 8 lines in grub starting with " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... "

So - while it's easy to know that the last OS installed (I think?) is the one on top, and while I can see which is pae and which is 486 I wouldn't mind being able to change the " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... " to something like "LMDE XFCE..." and "LMDE Mate/Cinnamon..."

Would that be possible to do without to much trouble? Is there a file I can edit?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa
Last edited by gosa on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing the "labels" of the entries in grub?

Postby roger64 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:54 am

gosa wrote:Hi all,

I don't know if I used the right "lingo" in the title, but maybe it will clear itself up explaining what I have/want to do:

Installed both LMDE XFCE & LMDE Mate/Cinnamon onto the same hard drive for "testing" purposes. The reason I did two different installs was to not clutter one single install up with duplicate stuff. I'm leaning towards running XFCE on it, since I suspect that the netbook might not be strong enough for Cinnamon (my graphics I suppose). I still want to try it out for a bit.

Anyway - After downloading and installing the pae-kernels for each of these two OS's I now have 8 lines in grub starting with " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... "

So - while it's easy to know that the last OS installed (I think?) is the one on top, and while I can see which is pae and which is 486 I wouldn't mind being able to change the " LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux... " to something like "LMDE XFCE..." and "LMDE Mate/Cinnamon..."

Would that be possible to do without to much trouble? Is there a file I can edit?

Thanks in advance,
/gosa

I would advise to install grub-customiser. I know the latest usable is 2.5.3 I am unable now to provide you with the link.

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=197&t=84055
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Brian49 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Grub Customizer doesn't enable you to edit the labels, as far as I can see.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby GeneC on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Brian49 wrote:Grub Customizer doesn't enable you to edit the labels, as far as I can see.

Brian

Just double click on the label (in the edit mode of grub customizer) and you can change to anything you like. :wink:

Last edited by GeneC on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Sparky Cin 2.2 (Debian Testing)
Manjaro .9.0dev (Cin 2.4) Unstable
Sparky Gnome 3.14 (SID)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby bimsebasse on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Yep, Grub Customizer is an easy, efficient and safe way of doing this (and other grub edits).
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Brian49 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:04 pm

GeneC wrote:Just double click on the label (in the edit mode of grub customizer) and you can change to anything you like.

Silly me - that's the one move I didn't try.

The latest package version is 2.5.4, downloadable here:

32-bit

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer/+files/grub-customizer_2.5.4-0ubuntu1%7Eppa1o_i386.deb

64-bit

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer/+files/grub-customizer_2.5.4-0ubuntu1%7Eppa1o_amd64.deb

This is the flavour for Ubuntu Oneiric, which installs on my system without any unsatisfiable dependencies. Your mileage may vary; should that be the case, I can post the links to other flavours.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gosa on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:28 am

Interesting, I'll have to download and try the grub customizer then - seems easy enough.
Still a pity that it can't be done just by editing a text file, but you can't get it all.

Marking this one as solved.

Thanks to you all for your replies!

/gosa
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot