panic occurred

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

panic occurred

Postby pmccartney on Tue May 01, 2012 10:04 am

I've been using Mint since 2.2, and all I can say is that it's probably been the most user-friendly distro available. However, I just downloaded the latest release (LMDE 201204 - Cinnamon [64-bit]). I am using the very same HP laptop that I've used with all my previous installations of Mint, but for some reason, no matter what I try, I continue to end up with the following message on screen: "[ ###.######] panic occurred, switching back to text console"

Apparently this has to be some sort of bug, because I get the exact same thing when I try installing Debian and Ubuntu 12.04.

I can install practically any distro under the sun except for the two latest releases from Mint and Ubuntu. I went as far as installing CentOS, Arch Linux, openSUSE, and PC-BSD just to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my hardware.

I was really looking forward to trying out the new Cinnamon desktop, especially after everything I've seen so far.

Update: Since I can't get Mint (or much less any other Debian-based distros) installed on my laptop anymore, I've just decided to switch over to Arch. If you're a beginner, I don't suggest it. Arch takes time and patience to install and configure. It also takes some know-how, and a willingness to get your hands dirty with the command prompt. However, once everything is set up the way you want, it can definitely be a rock-solid, speed-daemon! But, if you're new to Linux, then I suggest sticking with Mint or openSUSE or Fedora.
Last edited by pmccartney on Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmccartney
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: panic occurred

Postby xenopeek on Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 am

Moved here by moderator
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot