How to dual boot LinuxMint Debian on Windows 7 ? [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DaComboMan

How to dual boot LinuxMint Debian on Windows 7 ? [Solved]

Post by DaComboMan »

It's been a while but i did follow helpful instructions on:
http://helpsite.org/linux-mint-debian-edition/

Problem is, i wiped Windows 7 in the process. :lol: (not that funny though).

I would like to dual boot this most recent Debian ed. with Windows 7 (like WUBI!),
is there a tutorial for this somewhere?

- - - - -

Update: to avoid having to read until the last post,
here is link i finally found for an excellent tutorial:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/04/23/ho ... windows-7/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkit

Re: How to dual boot on Windows 7 ?

Post by Inkit »

If you've already tried installing mint, you probably know the process. Maybe you installed mint on top of your windows partition.
So read up a little on partitions so that you understand what they mean and how to partition your HD. Then you can partition your drive and install mint into the partition into the drive that you have allocated for it. This way you do not touch your windows partition at all.
And I believe windows 7 has a partition tool that allows you to partition the drive from within itself.
DaComboMan

Re: How to dual boot on Windows 7 ?

Post by DaComboMan »

I had created a separate partition within Windows 7 prior to installing Debian.
In fact, i was sure that all the partitions created with the help of GParted provided during the installation process were being made in that newly created partition.
Somehow, somewhere, something went wrong.
DaComboMan

Re: How to dual boot on Windows 7 ? [un-solved]

Post by DaComboMan »

I put "un-solved" in the title until someone can come up with an updated tutorial (even video) for nerds like me. :mrgreen:
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Once you identify which partition is for windows and which one is for mint, make sure that you install into the partition that you created for mint. I assume from what you say that this is what you have done, but obviously something went wrong. Are you sure that you did not install on top of your windows partition? or that you did not delete the windows partition in the process of installing?
Basically when you run the installer and you get to the partition table, you just click on the partition that you want to install mint into and set it as / (root). in the next page, you choose where you install grub to, which is usually /dev/sda.
In your case, I'd suggest that you delete the partition that you created for mint and not format it into anything. Then boot up from the live medium and when you run the installer you choose the partition that is not assigned at all. That way you are sure that you aren't touching your windows partitiion. And just to be sure, leave any partition that says ntfs in it.
Hope this helps.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Inkit,

Glad to read you and will follow up on your precious write up!
Will post back a.s.a.p.!

Tanks a bunch! :)
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Hey, no problem man.
Just paying it forward so to speak.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

I don't know what to say.
Yesterday, i tried again.
Created an "unallocated partition" via Windows 7,
clicked through with LM to install on that partition,
saved the "four",
exited GParted
but then i got a message telling me to choose which partition i wanted to install LM on. Sheeshkabob!

Tink i need to take a rest on this.

Update:
If only i could take a screenshot of the installation process!
It appears like LM wants to install partitions on the existing ones except for the "unallocated" one.
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

but then i got a message telling me to choose which partition i wanted to install LM on
And you choose the unallocated partition and install mint into that partition.
Unless of course I've misunderstood what you were saying.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Exactly.

With GParted i chose the "unallocated" partition for installation.

Ahhh! Why didn't i think of it before?!
I can take a picture of this with my digital camera man!
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

First things first!

After closing GParted, i never had hit "refresh"! :oops:

Second, the GRUB part in the instructions gives you no details.
It seems that it goes to (dev/sda) correct?

In any case, i erased Windows 7 again, probably on account of that last part.
äxl

Post by äxl »

Installing GRUB does not remove Windows. GRUB installs itself in the drives boot sector. If it doesn't detect MS correctly it won't show up in GRUB menu.
If you have an option not to install GRUB choose that. From Windows you then can use pre-installed bcdedit or easyBCD from NeoSmart (you have to register).
I guess if you're using MS you should use its programs to fiddle with your hardware because they tend to destroy other OSes. ;)
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

After closing GParted, i never had hit "refresh"!
You don't usually have to refresh. This is because Gparted will itself refresh when you apply that changes. Secondly you will be closing Gparted and using the installer to choose the partition you want to install to. And if your unallocated partition shows up there, just right click on it and choose it for /. In the next screen, install Grub to /dev/sda. That's all is usually necessary.
It seems that it goes to (dev/sda) correct?
That is usually the case. and if I remember the video tutorial correctly, it will have a dropdown where you can verify if you are indeed installing in the right place.
by axl to comboman
I guess if you're using MS you should use its programs to fiddle with your hardware because they tend to destroy other OSes
This is true enough, but I have always found it easier to use Grub itself since most linux distros use it as default. I have also never done this so can't help you there.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Problem is, the tutorial is for a simple installation (not a dual boot).
If it could be updated to include that option or if someone could provide a link for one here, then that would be spiffy! :)

Exiting from GParted, i hit refresh button and changes made with GParted are shown (not in tutorial).
Forward then leads me to the GRUB feature which (if my memory is good) has no option to skip and it gives a bunch of options (also not in tutorial).
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

I'm not too sure if I get the sequence of events here. And I don't know if you're having a problem because you're not partitioning properly or because you're installing mint on top of your windows install. One easy way to rule out partitioning problems is to partition from windows itself. Are you doing this now?
If you are, then when you choose where to install mint, are you choosing this unallocated space - Please post a screenshot if possible
In the screen where you have to choose where to install Grub, are you sure you are choosing /dev/sda. Maybe you are getting /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 as default. Check before you click on next - Once again a screenshot will be useful.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Believe it or not, i took a wack at it again today with no success (all i get is Linux Mint Debian).

1. Create unallocated partition in Windows 7.
2. Proceed to install Linux Mint.
3. After a few windows (language, keyboard etc.) i get to a window that offers something like three or four options (dev/sda1 or similar and the last one on the list is the "unallocated" one.
4. I click on "unallocated" and proceed to partition it via GParted.
5. Split (or create partitions) the four parts, apply and exit GParted.
6. Refresh the next window and the four parts appear.
7. Proceed to GRUB with dev/sda then eventually reboot.
Before all this, i did notice that the whole disk space was being used.

Dat's why i need a video tutorial...

Update: Hope you can see this snapshot i just took!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/egnsc0v2g1ca1 ... debian.jpg
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

What gets me (in reference to previous post) is that the "unallocated" space i created is 226.34 GB
Why do i get two different "unallocated" (screenshot) - one for 231.775 and the other 231.777 ?
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

This is a video I done for installing Ikey's SolusOS but I think it uses the same installer and you might get some ideas from it.
http://youtu.be/SHb4t25gRJU
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

ukbrian wrote:This is a video I done for installing Ikey's SolusOS but I think it uses the same installer and you might get some ideas from it.
http://youtu.be/SHb4t25gRJU
Thanks! Gives an idea on how to go about it (also a small promo for SolusOS that i've never heard of before).
Did notice that you don't have Windows on your computer. I have a CanoScan Lide70 that no Linux system seems to be able to make operative.
So, this in mind, dual boot with Windows 7 is a must for me.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Glad it was helpful.
When you right click on the partition you want to install to I would always choose "Edit" and format the partition as well.

My Windows was on sda1, I need it for some software.

Return to “LMDE Archive”