[NEWBIE] Partition Question Ubuntu --> Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
eyjay1991

[NEWBIE] Partition Question Ubuntu --> Mint Debian

Post by eyjay1991 »

Hello, I really wanna try Linux. But still i can't make everyday use of it. I've waited Ubuntu 12.04 but i can't seem to get the hang of it. Now downloading the latest Linux Debian release.

This is my current partition.

System Reserved 100MB --> C: OS7 [NTFS] 29.2GB --> Ubuntu [EXT4] 66.4GB --> E: Files [NTFS] 202.4GB

My Ubuntu Setup is in between. How can i optimized this? I can't get rid of windows since my father and brother uses these too. What would be the best set up? I heard linux need just a small amount of installation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [NEWBIE] Partition Question Ubuntu --> Mint Debian

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

I assume that you are happy to loose Ubuntu. If so I tend to have the following partitions 20mb for the LMDE install (/), 10gb for a seperate home partition and a swap partition double the size of your ram. If you install LMDE and tell it to install grub in the mbr, once installed you can download startup manager which will allow you to select which distro you want to boot by default, as others use the machine it would probably better to make windows the default. Also with startup manager you can also change the grub display and the time delay before booting the default.

Hope this helps.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

LMDE is not for newbie. It's far too complicated for beginners.

You should really be considering to use the main edition, mint 12, which is better for the beginning.

Return to “LMDE Archive”