Installing LMD from live pendrive to entire drive.

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing LMD from live pendrive to entire drive.

Postby munin on Thu May 17, 2012 11:44 pm

New member, first post. When I install a Linux distro I always get the option to install to entire disk. Very simple and easy. With LMD the only option is to use Gparted, which I do not need, since my computer has only one HD with one partition. I have erased the whole disk, and done what I thought was necessary, but have not managed to install the system. One problem is formatting. Is formatting necessary, and what option should I choose? There is also the option to use the terminal, but I have no idea what commands to use.
I have installed and tried almost a dozen Linux distros, and from what I have seen so far from LMD, it is in a class of its own, so there should be no reason to look further. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
munin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing LMD from live pendrive to entire drive.

Postby äxl on Sun May 20, 2012 7:40 pm

I guess you're talking about the installer suggesting to create partitions for /, /home, /boot etc.
I can only speak from ISO201109 point of view. There you could skip that step iirc.
Maybe looking at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ could help ...
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing LMD from live pendrive to entire drive.

Postby munin on Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for answer. I think I have found a solution that is better for a not too advanced Linux user like me. I have just installed Mint 13 Mate to entire disk, and it works just fine. It should be more stable than Mint Debian, and hopefully more stable than Ubuntu 12.04, that I have used for a while. :D
munin
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot