Is it safe to install package kfreebsd-image-9-amd64 ???

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
on4aa

Is it safe to install package kfreebsd-image-9-amd64 ???

Post by on4aa »

I have only noticed now that the kFreeBSD kernel packages have appeared in the standard LMDE repository.
I am interested in giving the kFreeBSD kernel a try under LMDE to see if I can create a ZFS pool.
Would installing the kFreeBSD kernel break my LMDE system? Or is it like trying a new Linux kernel?
I probably will have to install a new proprietary NVIDIA driver for FreeBSD, but I have seen it is available.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
on4aa

Re: Is it safe to install package kfreebsd-image-9-amd64 ???

Post by on4aa »

Answering myself and reading from the http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_FAQ, it is probably not a good idea to do so.
However, I am still confused why this package is anyhow made available in the same repository?

Q: Is it possible to run Linux binaries under Debian GNU/kFreeBSD kernel?

A: Only as long as standard FreeBSD Linux Compatibility Layer is sufficient. Some symlinks might be missing. The basic linux-i386 chroot of etch and lenny under kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 works. The FreeBSD Linux Compatibility Layer claims it supports up to 2.6.16 syscalls. Please note that squeeze supports only 2.6.18 and above Linux kernels, but you can cheat and alter advertised version of linux emulation by setting compat.linux.osrelease via sysctl. You also need debootstrap 1.10.35 or later.
Then use:

Code: Select all

sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18
debootstrap --foreign --arch=i386 squeeze ./linux-chroot http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
Mount the necessary file systems (/dev, /proc, etc) and chroot in. Then remove /var/cache/apt/archives/sysvinit_* and in chroot run:

Code: Select all

dpkg --force-depends -Ei /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
repeatedly untill all packages have been installed.

Q. Can I share partitions between GNU/Linux and GNU/kFreeBSD?

A. Yes, recommended options are ext2fs and zfs.
  • For ext2fs, when creating the filesystem, pass "-O none" to mke2fs for best results.
  • For zfs, create the filesystem from GNU/kFreeBSD, then use zfs-fuse on GNU/Linux. Filesystems created by zfs-fuse might be too new for ZFS v14 in kFreeBSD to access.
A few other file systems may be used to transfer data, but only in one direction:
  • For ufs (either 1 or 2), it's only supported readonly by Linux. Write support is highly experimental and is likely to cause panics.
  • For ext3fs, kFreeBSD can only access it in readonly mode.
  • For reiserfs, readonly support has been added to kfreebsd 6.x (see 335019).
  • For xfs, readonly support has been added to kfreebsd 7.x (see 335020 for details). Write support is also planned.
  • For btrfs, readonly support can be archieved by using the grub-mount utility (note that this requires FUSE support, which can be enabled with fuse4bsd).

Return to “LMDE Archive”