How is a live usb made persistent?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mint-o-licious

How is a live usb made persistent?

Post by mint-o-licious »

I've created a live usb stick in Unetbootin and made it persistent but it doesn't seem to work (Mint LMDE 201204 xfce). No changes is saved when rebooting from the stick. Not even files created in home.
Is there some other way than unetbootin to create a persistent live-usb? (from a mint12 machine)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How is a live usb made persistent?

Post by Oscar799 »

Split from another thread and moved here by moderator
breaker

Re: How is a live usb made persistent?

Post by breaker »

mint-o-licious wrote:I've created a live usb stick in Unetbootin and made it persistent but it doesn't seem to work (Mint LMDE 201204 xfce). No changes is saved when rebooting from the stick. Not even files created in home.
Is there some other way than unetbootin to create a persistent live-usb? (from a mint12 machine)
Linux Mint Debian is not the same as the main Linux Mint based on Ubuntu. This includes how to make it persistent among many other things.

grml is a live system based on Debian, and I have found many of the cheatcodes and methods to work with LMDE also, please try something from this page and let us know. First you add the cheatcode persistent to your menu entry; http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=persistency and cheatcodes http://git.grml.org/?p=grml-live.git;a= ... tcodes.txt

I guess you would add it near the end of the linux line

Code: Select all

linux /casper/vmlinuz boot=live live-media-path=/casper persistent noeject nopromt --
Maybe? I'll try soon too....

EDIT: I didn't give you Syslinux format, but since Unetbootin uses Syslinux, you will of course need to use that format when you edit the Syslinux menu to add the entry for persistence. Again, I need to try it myself.

Return to “LMDE Archive”