X session already open?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
georgezilla

X session already open?

Post by georgezilla »

Odd thing happens when I try to install LMDE 201204 on my desktop.

I boot the Live DVD, click to install it. And shortly after it starts the install it stops with a screen telling me that there is an X session already running. And asks if I want to start another one. If I tell it no, the install stops. If I tell it yes it opens another terminal and continues the install. If I change to the x session already running, I can continue the install from there. Is this "normal"? Is it a Debian thing?

I do not recall it doing this on my laptop. But then everything worked on the laptop out of the box. And I can not get sound working on my desktop at all.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lkraemer

Re: X session already open?

Post by lkraemer »

I am getting the same X session already running error message. If I tell it yes it opens another terminal and continues the install. I have been
running Debian 6 for several months, and have installed several. Debian 6 doesn't have this error message, or I've not seen it.

I too would like to know the FIX!

Thanks.

Larry
dr0b3rts

Re: X session already open?

Post by dr0b3rts »

The problem is that the live-cd does not recognize MDM as a valid display manager. /lib/live/config.sh falls back to running startx from the automatic login on tty1, which fails because MDM has already created an X session.

:arrow: Easy Solution: from a terminal, run: sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop

Harder, but better solution: remove /etc/profile.d/zz-live.sh, then kill login/shell/startx on tty1.

Best solution, Fix the Live-CD: Add code to /lib/live/config/.. to detect presence of MDM and set _X11=true

Return to “LMDE Archive”