LMDE startup: Display stopped working

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE startup: Display stopped working

Postby lokshan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 am

I'm running LMDE with MATE and Cinnamon on a Samsung NB-210 netbook. Dual-boot with Windows. Previously I was running Mint LXDE on the same machine with no problem.

LMDE worked fine for a week or two, but now the LMDE startup screen fails to load. Instead I get a login command line, and them the message:
"The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. . . "
This happens every time I select LMDE from the GRUB menu.

This is the second attempt at installing LMDE on this computer. After the first installation, I had this exact problem as well. That time, though, the problem appeared after I uninstalled gnome-bluetooth, so I assumed that had caused it. This time I didn't do anything to the system between the last successful startup and the beginning of the problem.

Any ideas about how to address this?
Thanks!
lokshan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE startup: Display stopped working

Postby oobetimer on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Is there any room left? You get to the command prompt pressing Ctrl Alt F2 and there login and run command df -h
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LMDE startup: Display stopped working

Postby lokshan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Do you mean, is there still room on the disk? This was a recent install with many empty gigs in the root and home partitions.
I gave up after a couple of weeks and replaced the LMDE side of the dual-boot with Lubuntu. It has worked with absolutely no problems.
lokshan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot