Linux mint installer won't run.

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux mint installer won't run.

Postby yskywalker on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm

When I double click on the install linux mint icon on the desktop, it won't run. Instead, it tells me, "the program is using root permissions without requiring a password." It goes on to say that, "This is not a bug, or necessarily a problem. It's just a warning." The problem is that after I click close on the "warning" box, nothing happens. I tried right clicking the icon, and choosing "run as administrator", but that requires an administrator password.(more on that in a moment.) Then I went to properties for that icon, and copied and pasted the terminal command that the icon invokes into a terminal window, but that also requires a password.

I have asked for the default password on the "newbies" forum, and hopefully that will fix the problem. I still want to know why in the world this doesn't work.

Thanks in advance. :)
I am frequently right and never in doubt.
yskywalker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux mint installer won't run.

Postby zerozero on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:18 pm

are you using a live-dvd or a live-usb? if the latter how did you created it? with what "tool"? if not unetbootin try it. it won't ask you for root pw for installation :wink:
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby yskywalker on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Wow! That was quick. I am using a live-usb made with the "usb pen drive linux" tool.
yskywalker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 pm

ok :D try unetbootin as i suggested in the post above. there's no root p/w for lmde, the problem is that some tools don't play well with the installer (or the other way around) and instead of a live-session (as you want) you get a kinda of a persistent install but without choosing username and p/w
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby yskywalker on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 pm

OK, I'll try that.
yskywalker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gerrygeneric on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks for the answer. I was having the exact same problem, for the same reason. I'll try this after work tonight. Gotta love community software. :D
gerrygeneric
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot