*SOLVED* LMDE 201204 fail to boot after install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ondrak

*SOLVED* LMDE 201204 fail to boot after install

Post by ondrak »

Hello Linux community,

I believe spent enough time (4 full evening) trying to find answer to my questions but had no luck so far so I decided to ask for help.

I am trying to install Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204 32bit on IBM ThinkPad T40p with 1GB of RAM, 1.5GHz CPU and 160GB Samsung HDD.
Live DVD boots with no problems, I can connect to Wifi but when i want to start the install I am not given the option to format the hard drive and install LMDE. I was forced to play around with partitions and found out I had to create partition and mark it as \ for installation to start.
Problem is after installation completes and I reboot the system Thinkpad keeps trying to boot over network and even if I select manually boot from HDD it fails to start. I don't understand why it can't start automatically on blank non-formatted HDD? All of the tutorials and documentation suggest there is automated install?

Appreciate any help you can provide
Thanks
Ondrak
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: LMDE 201204 fail to boot after install

Post by oobetimer »

ondrak wrote:
Problem is after installation completes and I reboot the system Thinkpad keeps trying to boot over network and even if I select manually boot from HDD it fails to start.
Grub is not installed to MBR or your BIOS does not be capable to boot from too large partition. I suppose that you have to re-partition your hard drive. My suggestion about partitions:
root partition / 10 to 15 GB ext4
swap partition 2 GB
home partition /home big or bigger

A video about debian installer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-AlZuShizE&feature=plcp
ondrak

Re: LMDE 201204 fail to boot after install

Post by ondrak »

Thanks it worked the charm

Return to “LMDE Archive”