Installing Windows 7 after LMDE <SOLVED>

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CliffD5

Installing Windows 7 after LMDE <SOLVED>

Post by CliffD5 »

Hi guys,
I am looking to install Windows 7 on a separate HD. I have not had a dual boot setup in several years as I primarily use linux as my main OS with windows running in a VM when needed. I, unfortunately, have a need for Windows outside of a VM for photo processing.

I assume I will need to re-install grub from a live CD after the windows install, but I am unable to locate any decent documentation on doing this. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sohardivetried

Re: Installing Windows 7 after LMDE

Post by sohardivetried »

just install windows to the hard drive then boot your live cd and chroot your root linux directory and run grub-install and update.

install windows, boot live cd then find out your linux root partitions name in linux, mine is sda5, but i dualboot, yours is probably sda1 or something like that, just replace /dev/sdaX with your appropriate partition designation. the next to last command needs to be run on your boot sector, so its the name of the harddrive with no number after it, this will write grub back to your boot sector.

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo chroot /mnt
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
assuming i was clear enough you should be able to reboot, and profit...
Last edited by sohardivetried on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CliffD5

Post by CliffD5 »

Nice and easy.
Thanks!
sohardivetried

Post by sohardivetried »

its pretty straight forward glad to help, mark thread solved also :)
Gor

Re: Installing Windows 7 after LMDE <SOLVED>

Post by Gor »

Awesome guide; it certainly works.

Thank you

Return to “LMDE Archive”