2007 Intel Mac

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wiugrad2010

2007 Intel Mac

Post by wiugrad2010 »

Hello,
I have been using LM09-13 for years on my netbook and PC's but recently I decided to switch my iMac to Linux Mint 13 as well. Everything goes great with the install and works perfectly from live disc, other than having to use an usb wifi dongle to get my wifi to work, but after update I am able to switch back to the built in wifi and remove the dongle.

Anyway, I am really thinking of switching to LMDE as I have used it on my PCs in the past but i have had no success on my iMac.
I have tried the 2012/04 version of MATE/CINNAMON. The live disc works just like LM13 with having to use the usb wifi dongle for internet. The install process goes well just like any other computer.
After I get the restart prompt though, my iMac will only boot to a black screen with a ? (question mark) in the center. I have not found out how to get around this, nor have I found a good reason as to why this is happening.

Anyone have success installing LMDE on iMac or have any suggestions/answers for the problems I have encoutering. Any help would be greatful as I really would like to switch all my computers from LM13 to LMDE.

I should make it known, I am not trying to do a dual boot. So the posts using refit and refind are not relavent to my case. (as far as i can tell) I am trying to do a single OS of LMDE on my imac. I wonder if I would have to still install grub to whichever sda my os will be installed to. I have actually tried doing both the default location for grub as well as sda2or3 (i think that is where the OS would be installed without any other partitions.)

I plan on waiting till the new ISO with UP6 comes out so i can try that one in case there are a few things missing from 2012/04 to be able to boot on iMac
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wiugrad2010

Re: 2007 Intel Mac

Post by wiugrad2010 »

Well, Since nobody else seems to have a similar question I will provide some input that I have found anyways.

After further reading on both the LM forum as well as other forums it seems to be that the problem lies within the boot access. Namely, Grub vs EFI. Macintosh uses a form of EFI to boot their computers while majority of other PC's use Grub. (so it seems) Now, more manufacturers are swithing over to an EFI type boot but this is causing a few problems when trying to install linux. One post I found on this forum (sorry no link) says that the new 3.3 kernal comes with both Grub and EFI boot support. Which means the easiest thing to do (if this is correct) is to wait until LMDE ships with the 3.3 kernel or higher.

ZeroZero says that it is currently sitting on a 3.2 kernel as of UP6.

Any further input here? Maybe someone can verify my findings or debunk them.
afroman7600

Re: 2007 Intel Mac

Post by afroman7600 »

I am having a problem which may or may not be related - please take a look at this when ya get a chance!

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=129549

Thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”