Startup Failed - Old 0.97 GRUB shows up at boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Startup Failed - Old 0.97 GRUB shows up at boot

Post by pjc123 »

OK, so I successfully installed LMDE yesterday on an old x86 computer with a freshly cleared hard drive and everything is installed and working. But today I needed to install LMDE on my newer computer because I need to test something between the two, but this is the problem that has occurred.

A little background. The computer has 3 hard drives, and I select the drive I want to boot up from the boot menu using the F10 key, and then I can select what OS I want to run from the GRUB menu in the case of the dual boot drives:

Drive 1 = /dev/sda = Dual Boot with Centos 5.8 & Scientific Linux 6.2
Drive 2 = /dev/sdb = Windows 7
Drive 3 = /dev/sdc = Dual Boot with Centos 6.2 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

So, I want to replace Centos 5.8 on Drive 1 with LMDE. Here is that drives setup:

FIRST OPERATING SYSTEM CENTOS 5.8
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3
/dev/sda2 Volume groups containing root and swap

SECOND OPERATING SYSTEM SCIENTIFIC LINUX 6.0
/dev/sda3 /boot ext4
/dev/sda7 Volume groups for root, home and swap

Before I installed Mint I ran Gparted from a separate disk, removed LVM and deleted the sda1 and sda2 partitions, so I could put Mint Debian in the unallocated space there.

Then I ran the Mint installation program and set up the following:
/dev/sda1 swap swap
/dev/sda2 / ext4

I also told it to put GRUB in sda.

Now when I boot the hard disk, all that shows up is an old 0.97 GRUB with a command line prompt and absolutely no operating systems to select. When I look back at my notes, I installed the original Centos 5.4 GRUB (version 0.97) in sda's MBR and the Scientific Linux GRUB (version 0.97) in the first sector of boot partition /dev/sda3. I then chainloaded from Centos 5.4 into Scientific Linux. They are both 0.97 versions. So, I would guess that Mint's GRUB is version 1.99, because that is Debian's Wheezy GRUB version. So, what has happened? Am I not allowed to write GRUB2 over legacy grub, or have I done something else wrong?

EDIT: Detailed Disk Information:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5701103/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Startup Failed - Old 0.97 GRUB shows up at boot

Post by pjc123 »

No response on this forum so I asked elsewhere and immediately got an answer, so now I am up and running. For anyone with a similar issue:

Boot the liveCD, then just re-write the MBR. See this article - "Fixing a Broken System", section "via the LiveCD terminal".

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

SOLVED.

Return to “LMDE Archive”