MInt LMDE 64bit doesnt boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: MInt LMDE 64bit doesnt boot

Post by catweazel »

marquiz wrote:This drm errors above could be related to plymouth_drm ?

What I found curious is that this error where my boot stops:

[FAIL] starpar: service(s) returned failure: plymouth ... failed !

doesnt appear on any of the log 3 files I looked for.
If you want this sorted quickly you're going to have to follow, not lead.

I recommend that you exclude hardware failure from the equation by running an extensive memtest86 session, preferably overnight. You can download an image here:http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

my bad...when I suggested to check the dmesg he was using 'grep' command. I thought he'll do the same for the other log file I mentioned later. anyway, @marquiz it seems that my assumption isn't proved. I didn't see any graphic error message from the later log files. instead of it I found that you're using XFS instead of EXT4. as far as I know that filesystem is still under development stage and not yet stable for daily usage. it might be the reason behind IO error message from the kernel log. changing the filesystem to EXT4 might be something you want to try. I don't know about the drm stuff but the boot log files got overwritten when we reboot the system. that's why we didn't see the plymouth error message anymore.

it's all that I know. @xenopeek n viking777: I'm just a newcomer in linux stuffs and both of you are far more experienced than me. please correct me if I'm wrong
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No harm done, and much appreciated for helping out here. I had missed the using of XFS. This bit from the latest log files made me think problem with graphics card:

Code: Select all

Apr 27 15:45:55 schasta kernel: [  251.512270] [drm:i915_reset] *ERROR* Failed to reset chip.
I have an Intel IGP as well and had problems with mine due to bug in my motherboard, giving similar error IIRC (though I got additional errors about it giving up on resetting the chip, and declaring it hung). Hence wanting to know inxi output to see which IGP it is and perhaps if there are known errors for it.
marquiz

Post by marquiz »

xenopeek wrote:
marquiz wrote:I not flooding the forum with senseless logs.
Please use the Code tags for long outputs, as viking777 requested (see the button on top of the text box when you reply). That keeps this topic readable by those considering to help. I've added the tags above.

Notice that the command "grep -i" matches words you search for case insensitive, so you don't need to grep for fail and Fail separately. Also, cat isn't needed in the command you use.

grep -i fail /var/log/kern.log
Also, using egrep you can search for multiple words, enclosing them in quotes and separating the words to search for with the pipe (|).

egrep -i "fail|error" /var/log/kern.log
But let's get back to your problems. Seems like you have two:
  • Your second hard disk (sdb) has problems it seems. I'd recommend you boot from the installation ISO and run the Disks program from there to run an extended self-test in the disk. Or you may have a function for that in your BIOS.
  • Your graphics card also seems to have problems.
To help you further, we need to know what hardware you have. Can you share the output of this command:

inxi -Fxz

Hi again,
Ive just run
inxi -Fx
because I got an error saying that z is an illegal option

By the way just for testing I made xfs on my main linux partition and then another normal swap smaller partition about twice my ram memory.
My netbook is an acer aspire as 1810T SU3500 intel processor 1,4Ghz with 3gb ram 250gb hhdd and an intel GMA 4500MHD graphics card

#inxi -Fx
System: Host schasta Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
CPU: Single core Intel Core2 Solo U3500 (-UP-) cache 3072 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips 2792.7 clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.org 1.12.4 Res: 168x46 Gfx Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network: Card-1 Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver iwlwifi v: in-tree: BusID: 02:00.0
Card-2 Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet driver atl1c v: 1.0.1.0-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 01:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (-) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK2555GS 250.1GB 36C
Partition: ID:/ size: 119G used: 27G (23%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 119G used: 27G (23%) fs: xfs
ID:swap-1 size: 5.45GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 127 Uptime 9 min Memory 794.4/2954.0MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
marquiz

Post by marquiz »

If it is my graphics card, is there something I could do to fix it ? install drivers ?
Im struggling trying to figure out whats going on and how to solve it .
thanks
marquiz

Post by marquiz »

I wonder if I could install a package with intel graphics driver for my card. Its a .deb BUT it is meant to be for ubuntu12.10
I found the mentioned package on the link bellow

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Thanks
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

last night my friend's laptop broke and he ask me to install linux on his laptop. the installation seems succesful until I play with the it and put 'nomodeset' parameter on grub. the driver cannot loaded at boot and the X cannot started. if i'm not mistaken you also have nomodeset on your grub. why don't you try to remove it?
marquiz

Post by marquiz »

so there is no solution for my issue ??

the only solution could be to install another operating system ?

oppssss :(

Return to “LMDE Archive”