System froze, grub hangs at 'loading' after hard shutdown

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
urukrama

System froze, grub hangs at 'loading' after hard shutdown

Post by urukrama »

Last night myThinkpad X60 running Linux Mint (Debian) froze completely, while playing a video file through VLC. I wasn't able to do anything (no Ctrl-Alt-backspace, no Ctrl-Alt-F1, I had no keyboard or mouse control whatsoever)--the system was entirely unresponsive. After waiting a little while, I held the power button down to force a shutdown.

When I reboot the system, it hangs at "Grub Loading". It doesn't even get to the Grub menu (so I can't access the grub shell).

I used a LiveCD to view log files, but I can't find anything out of the ordinary.

I've had this problem once before. I couldn't afford to spend a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it then, so I did a quick reinstall of Mint. I don't want to do that now. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

My Mint installation was fully up to date.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: System froze, grub hangs at 'loading' after hard shutdow

Post by WharfRat »

urukrama,

Did you try running fsck on the partition :?:

The only other thing I can suggest trying, since you can mount the partition from the live cd, is to chroot to your lnde installation and reinstall grub.
urukrama

Post by urukrama »

WharfRat wrote:Did you try running fsck on the partition :?:

The only other thing I can suggest trying, since you can mount the partition from the live cd, is to chroot to your lnde installation and reinstall grub.
The filesystem is clean, and reinstalling grub through chroot did not help.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

urukrama ,

I'm going to assume you need to write a new mbr.

There's the linux utility ms-sys or if you have a windows cd bootrec.exe /fixmbr

I have never had the occasion to use either one of these so I don't really know what the implications will be.

There's the possibility that you could lose everything. Also, you didn't mention if you're dual booting windows.

The only advice I can give you is to backup anything important and proceed cautiously :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”