Install freezes while copying files

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install freezes while copying files

Postby Contrapsych on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:54 am

Hello Minters!

When I am in the live image of LMDE and start the install, I go through the process of entering information, configuring partitions, etc. For the partition, I have a 100GB primary partition with / set as the mount point and formatted for ext4. I also have a 2GB swap space set up in a logical partition. Everything always goes smoothly up until it starts copying files from the media to the PC. The progress bar gets anywhere from 1/8th to 1/3rd of the way through and everything freezes (mouse, progress bar, everything). I have to do a hard shutdown in order to get out. It doesn't freeze copying one specific file, it just happens randomly. The fan also kicks on in my laptop and it starts getting pretty hot. I have used a DVD for installation media (also verified the disk in the live boot menu) and 2 different pen drives (made using Pen Drive Linux installer). I did do a checksum on the image and it matched, so I have no idea what the problem could be from.

On another note, I can successfully install Debian 7.1.0, although I haven't tried any other distributions beside that and LMDE. I might just have to "Mintify" Debian if we can't figure this out, because I like Cinnamon very much.

Version: LMDE 201303 64bit (checksum verified)
Media: Pen Drive and DVD
Hardware: Samsung Chronos 7, Legacy boot only, Nvidia graphics 640m, Intel i7, 8GB memory

If you have any more questions about my hardware or the process I went through, please let me know. Thank you for any help.
Contrapsych
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install freezes while copying files

Postby kurotsugi on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:21 am

lmde iso have certain issue regarding intel cpu which make system suddenly freezing during installation. if you have intel cpu then the best option at this time might mintify debian 7. the lmde iso is bloated with obsolete packages. if you're using debian as the base you'll get a cleaner system.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Contrapsych on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:22 pm

I remember seeing something about that mentioned from last year, but I was surprised it's still a problem, being that I'm sure a lot of people use Intel. Is there any information of if this might get fixed?

Other than that, I suppose I could "Mintify" Debian, but I'm not sure, other than Cinnamon, what other packages or even what repos to get them from. I also like LMDE because it's updated more than Debian.
Contrapsych
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 am

unless you create your own dvd installation contain newest kernel in testing, I'm afraid not. anyway, you can install cinnamon metapackages.
Code: Select all
mint-meta-debian-cinnamon
mint-meta-debian-core
mint-meta-codecs
these packages will automatically mintify your debian.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby eanfrid on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:39 am

Your CPU and IGP may be not well supported with the default old 3.2 kernel. You need at least a 3.5 kernel to make sure for a good support (there is 3.9 in Sid currently).

Edit: Also, perhaps your CPU needs an Intel microcode update which is present in Wheezy but older or missing in LMDE ?
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
True private storage on SpiderOak
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Installation & Boot