partitioning for LMDE 2013

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
linuxlinux123
Level 1
Level 1

partitioning for LMDE 2013

Post by linuxlinux123 »

Can anyone assist with partitioning for LMDE 2013? I'm having difficulty finding which partitions are necessary and how large to create them. I know how to use GnomeParted and PartedMagic. I found this tutorial, but it is from 2010. http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/12/28/manual-disk-partitioning-guide-for-linux-mint-debian-edition/3/ Not sure if it is correct for 2013 version. I have a 500 GB hard drive that will only have LMDE installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: partitioning for LMDE 2013

Post by wayne128 »

linuxlinux123 wrote: I have a 500 MB hard drive that will only have LMDE installed.
sorry 500MB cannot install LMDE
any typo?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

my preferred scheme will be

Code: Select all

- 30/50 gb partition as root partition (ext4)
- 2 gb partition for swap partition 
- the rest partition as /home partition (ext4) 
with this scheme you'll have separated partition for /home so that if in any case you need to reinstall your system you don't have to reformat whole partition and you won't lost your data.
linuxlinux123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxlinux123 »

wayne128 wrote:
linuxlinux123 wrote: I have a 500 MB hard drive that will only have LMDE installed.
sorry 500MB cannot install LMDE
any typo?

Yes it is a typo. I meant 500 GB, sorry. I edited the original post.
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

What works for me:

2 partitions, one root and one home.

For a throwaround browsing machine: 10gig root proves enough. If I have scientific software installed I generally need an extra 10GB. Depending on how you are to use it, 30 GB is a safe size for a root partition. All that is left is to assign the rest to /home.

Do you need swap? Many people would probably say yes. I find my ram usage never really goes over 500MB, unless I am compiling or doing something insane, then its around 1GB. So any of my computers that have >2GB ram have no swap partition.

I am open to being convinced as to whether this set up is a good/bad idea, but it has worked for me.

I am curious to find out what potential advantages there are to assigning /var /boot /usr etc to their own partitions.

Return to “LMDE Archive”