LMDE Install/Boot Failure

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LMDE Install/Boot Failure

Postby reddfloyd on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am

Hey guys, trying to run LMDE on a Lenovo z575 over here. LiveUSB works fine, installation appears to work fine but just after the installer checks GRUB, when the bar's at about 30~40%, it reports the install as successful and prompts a restart. Upon restart, GRUB fails to boot, returning

Code: Select all
error: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.

Additionally, when the LiveUSB attempts to restart the computer it hangs at shutdown, returning a long sequence of SquashFS errors.

Tips, tricks, or magic solutions?
reddfloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE Install/Boot Failure

Postby kurotsugi on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm

there's no magic trick. your iso might corrupted. you can start by checking your md5sum
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby reddfloyd on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm

kurotsugi wrote:there's no magic trick. your iso might corrupted. you can start by checking your md5sum

md5sum checks out - 559d2f78c8f209eff56300d92d86458f sho' 'nuff.
reddfloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 am

the iso md5sum is good. you might want to try to create a new installation media from that iso.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby reddfloyd on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:00 pm

kurotsugi wrote:the iso md5sum is good. you might want to try to create a new installation media from that iso.

No luck, chief. Installer goes further but it ends the same way - a sudden check on GRUB with a prompt to restart.

Interestingly, I find myself unable to shut the system down. Trying to shutdown through the GUI hangs, and shutting down through TTY seems to proceed normally, but fails, returning

Code: Select all
[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure: plymouth ... failed!

The system then displays the startup "Debian comes with NO warranty" message and switches back to the graphical session.

Strange, isn't it?
reddfloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby leafmulch on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I've got mine working today, so I thought I'd jot down what I encountered.

It seems when shutting down after an install it defaults back to the ttya or ctrl-alt-F1 if you prefer. Although if you hit ctrl-alt-F7 or F8 it'll be shutting down, but waiting for you to remove the USB stick and hit enter.

After that my distro still refused to boot off the grub menu - I had to go back into the liveCD/usb and recreate grub menu with update-grub2. Please note, update-grub did not work on a previous attempt.

sudo su -
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
chroot /mnt
update-grub2

After reboot that gave me a working grub menu. I've no idea what the issue was, but I do have another distro of nadia on sda1, so that could have been an issue. It allowed me to boot into lmde or mint 14.

HTH.
leafmulch
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot