Partitioning HDD for LMDE mate

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Partitioning HDD for LMDE mate

Postby merryoakparker on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:10 am

Hi,
Advice, please: I'm re-installing LMDE mate and would like to know what a good rule of thumb is for the partitioning of my 320 Gig HDD. I have 2 Gigs of RAM and a 2.66 MHz Pentium Dual core chip.
First, where is the best source of info so I can dig out the answers to the questions below for myself??? I've got the 2011 "Linux Bible." Right now I'm running Mate from the install disk.

1) Should I partition or just let the installer do it all by assigning :\ to the whole hard drive?

2) If I partition, how much space should be "swap, \, and home each get?

3) Which file system should I format the disk to for LMDE and my hardware configuration??

Thanks. I've been messing around with a new Cinnamon disk and a Mate disk. I don't like the Cinnamon "Menu" appearance and have read the it is slower for my hardware configuration, so I think mate is the choice; but I'm still wide open for suggestions and comments, but please explain your reasoning.

Thank you very much.
Merryoak
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partitioning HDD for LMDE mate

Postby josefg on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:53 am

From my experience, you will want to give 40-60 GB to the / partition depending on how heavily you plan to install stuff on the computer. For the swap I once learnt that it should be a mirror of your RAM - though I'm not sure if this is right and I haven't understood the logic of it yet. But because your RAM is rather small, you could just as well give 4GB to swap (lets you expand RAM without repartitioning the HD one day). Give the rest to /home.
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot