3 Hard Disk Install -SOLVED-

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

3 Hard Disk Install -SOLVED-

Postby FranTM on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:19 am

Hi!

I'm istalling Linux Mint Debian in my computer, but I have few problems.

My computer has 3 hard disks and it shows like that:

/dev/sda 40Gb
/dev/sdb 320Gb
/dev/sdc 160Gb

I want to use max space.

How can I do the partitions /boot /swap / /home and /media/myfiles

I've already installed several times but I can't achieve it works

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,
Fran
Last edited by FranTM on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
FranTM
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 3 Hard Disk Install

Postby karlchen on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:34 am

Hello, Fran.

The Mint live and installation system brings along GParted, a graphical programme to inspect and modify disk partitions. This programme should help achieve your goal: gparted.

HTH,
Karl
karlchen
Level 12
Level 12

Postby FranTM on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks for your response karlchen,

Yes, I used gparted to do the following partition:

/boot -> 512Mb in /dev/sda ext3
/swap -> 3Gb in /dev/sda swap
/ -> The rest of /dev/sda ext4

Then with /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc I did extended partition with:

/home -> /dev/sdb ext4
/media/myFiles -> /dev/sdc ext4

But, when I close gparted I can choose only the /dev/sda partition because it is where I have to put my / directory

whatever, when the installation was finished, I process to reboot and it didn't work. I couldn't pass the logo of Linux Mint loading.
FranTM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:40 am

Hello, Fran.

Sorry. Now I finally understand what you want to achieve. Hm, at least I guess. You would like to treat your 3 harddisks /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc as one single disk? Correct?

Using LVM to treat 3 disks as one

If this is the case then you will have to use LVM - logical volume manager. LVM can create a volume group which holds a logical volume that in turn holds 3 disks.
I admit I have never used LVM on Ubuntu or Mint, because none of my machines holds more than a single harddisk.
And the last time when I used LVM this was on HP-UX when they still used a GUI named sam. So this was a while ago. And giving you the HP-UX steps, even if I remembered them correctly, would not help.
Therefore I looked up 3 instructions on using LVM on Debian, because LMDE is based on Debian directly. The Ubuntu article might be irrelevant, because LMDE is not based on Ubuntu.
+ Q: How do I install using LVM? Is there any more information about using the LVM installer? LVM installation doesn't work!
+ LVM
+ How to Manage and Use LVM (Logical Volume Management) in Ubuntu
The Ubuntu article suggests that only the alternative installer is able to use LVM during the installation of Ubuntu.
To the best of my knowledge there is no such alternative installer for Mint including LMDE. This might mean that you cannot setup LMDE and make it use LVM from the start, but that you have to setup normally first (without LVM) and add LVM support later on.
It is, however, imaginable that the Ubuntu article is not up-to-date and current installers can make use of LVM during the initial installation. I really do not know.

Setting up on /dev/sda initially and extend to 3 disks later

In case using LVM from the start should not be feasible or in case you do not like the idea of fiddling around with it, here is another approach:
Personally I would setup Mint on /dev/sda completely in the first step, including swap and /home and /media/myfiles.
Once the system has been setup completely and is working fine, I would relocate /home to /dev/sdb and modify the file /etc/fstab accordingly, because you want /home to be available at boot time.
Once the system is working fine with this setup, I would relocate /media/myfiles to /dev/sdc and modify the /etc/fstab accordingly, because you want /media/myfiles to be available at boot time.
In order to realize this approach no LVM will be required.

But, when I close gparted I can choose only the /dev/sda partition because it is where I have to put my / directory
GParted will display and modify one physical harddisk at a time.
This means you will have to configure everything that you wish to configure for /dev/sda first and apply.
Next you will have to configure everything that you wish to configure for /dev/sdb and apply.
Finally you will have to configure everything that you wish to configure for /dev/sdc and apply.

HTH,
Karl
karlchen
Level 12
Level 12

Postby FranTM on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:18 am

I've already done the second option.

At the reboot of the installing process, it is loading in the logo "Linux Mint from freedom came elegance" and it doesn't start the SO.

What can be happen? :(

Fran
FranTM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:26 am

Hello, Fran.

When you boot your machine, select the LMDE option from the boot menu. The press "e" on it like edit. With the cursor key go down to the line which loads vmlinuz and remove the words quiet and splash from the line. Then press <F10> to boot.
Without splash and without quiet all the startup messages should be displayed on the screen faster than you will be able to read them. As soon as an error occurs that prevents LMDE from coming up, the messages should stop. Chances are that one of the last messages on the screen holds a hint as to what is wrong.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 12
Level 12

Postby FranTM on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks karlchen

I've done what did you say. I saw that it was waiting that fskd was launched manually. I did it and it WORKS!!

Really thank you!! I spent all Saturday and I'll do it the same all Sunday If you don't helped me! Thanks!
FranTM
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot