Boot Fix for AMD/ATI Radeon Video

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boot Fix for AMD/ATI Radeon Video

Postby jerryc on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:48 pm

I love the concept of LMDE, but I had some major booting issues with my laptop, which uses the Radeon chip. Here's what got me past them all (and could probably be adapted to Mints 13 and 15, and maybe even other distros):

Begin booting. From the first grub screen, using the down arrow key, scroll the cursor to the LMDE line and click e. Move the cursor to the line that says something like:

Code: Select all
linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 root=UUID=[your UUID] ro  quiet

Add the following to the end of that line:

nomodeset xforcevesa

This forces the startup to use (on this boot only) old video drivers, which may not have all the latest whistles and bells, but should work well enough to get you in and get things tweaked.

Click F10 to boot. Login. (Hey, you can do it now!).

Start synaptic package manager. In the lower left, click status. In the upper left, click installed (upgradable). Scroll to the X's, and update all the xserver packages (unless you can tell for sure which ones you don't need).

After that completes, scroll to linux-image, and update the kernel, which now has better Radeon support than the 3.2 kernel which comes with LMDE201303. While the new kernel installs, you'll probably get some error messages about missing Radeon firmware. You'll fix that next.

After the kernel installs, open a terminal window and enter:

sudo dmesg | egrep -i 'firmware|microcode'

That'll update your firmware.

Reboot.

You should be good to go, now.

If you're still having problems, you could try the fglrx nonfree drivers or edit your grub.conf file to force vesa all the time for a while. More Radeon updates are coming in kernel 3.12. Try to make do with the free drivers if you can. If you use gflrx, you may need to reinstall them with each kernel update.
jerryc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot