[Solved] LMDE freezes on install : Samsung Series 7 Chronos

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Matt4179

[Solved] LMDE freezes on install : Samsung Series 7 Chronos

Post by Matt4179 »

After a week of trying, I was able to install LMDE on a Samsung Series 7 Chronos with the i7 ivybridge processor. In the beginning, every time I tried to install, it would freeze on the "copying files". It never had a specific place but would randomly freeze at the beginning, middle, or even toward the end. I tried "nomodeset" that I had read in the forums as well as removing live-installer-slideshow. Each time to no avail. After using the wifi connection to install, I finally decided to plug it in to the router. So, after loads of trying, here is all I did to install:

1. Make sure that the internet is wired not wifi. (don't know if this was an issue, but it is one thing I changed for success)

2. When the initial boot countdown start, hit down key (or any key?) to bring up boot options. Hit TAB to bring up editing options. Entered "nomodeset" after "quiet splash" and before "--"

Code: Select all

quiet splash nomodeset --
" (without the quotes)

3. Once booted, open terminal, enter:

sudo su

4. When in root, enter:

apt-get remove live-installer-slideshow
5. Crossed Fingers...(Not sure how important this step is, but all together it worked.)

This, step by step was successful for me. I hope it helps.

This machine also has an nVidea Optimus card in it as well. I have heard that that could be a problem with the 3.2 kernel.

***Be sure to update to update pack 7 upon completion. It has the 3.10 kernel that works alot better with Ivybridge processors.***

For the optimus card, you can check out the Bumblebee Project at: [url]http://bumblebee-project.org/install.html#Debian[/url]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zwiebel

Re: [Solved] LMDE freezes on install : Samsung Series 7 Chro

Post by zwiebel »

Fesiitis wrote:Just, before boot LMDE from disc, add this option:

acpi=off

and press Enter to boot. This disable some hardwares like a Wi-Fi, full GPU support (boots in VGA mode) and others. On dv6-7300sa this was the only solution.
hi,
i have taken your advice to boot with "acpi=off" and installed LMDE successfully without freeze by copying files. After it is successfully installed, i chose "restart", but the screen truned black and froze and i couldnt do anything.

Do you know how could it be fixed?
zwiebel

Re: [Solved] LMDE freezes on install : Samsung Series 7 Chro

Post by zwiebel »

Fesiitis wrote:Simply turn off your computer with "hard" method. LMDE is installed, reboot option also freezes when I was installed LMDE. After "hard reboot" LMDE boots fine.
hi,
thanks for your reply...
i did like you said, turned off my computer "hardly". then i have another problem... the computer cant find a bootable device.... i had successfully LMDE installed, GRUB was installed in /dev/sda... that really confused me... maybe i should send a new topic.

Return to “LMDE Archive”