Is it Possible to shrink the .iso to less than 700mb?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Is it Possible to shrink the .iso to less than 700mb?

Postby sakjdlks on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I read it was possible to edit the .iso and make it less than 700mb, but the link didn't work and the tutorial appears to have been removed.
Is it:
a.) Possible to make the .iso less than 700mb and burn it to a cd. and...
b.)If so, how?
Thanks in advance for any help.
sakjdlks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is it Possible to shrink the .iso to less than 700mb?

Postby passerby on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:39 pm

There are a few ways to make custom ISOs. For example: http://www.howtogeek.com/109736/ (should work with Mint, but not certain)
remastersys used to be the default for making custom ISOs, but the software has been discontinued. Someone else has continued the project; I haven't tried it myself, but you can check it out here: http://system-imaging.blogspot.com.au/

You may find it easier to install a smaller distro and convert it to Mint.
eg. If you wanted the XFCE version of Mint, you could install Xubuntu, add the Mint repos, update, and install the appropriate meta packages.
It can be more trouble than it's worth if you're after a version of Mint without an Ubuntu equivalent with the same desktop environment.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rabideau on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Why not simply burn the current mint iso to a USB and be done with the CD size limitation?
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

Geek & Genealogist (http://many-roads.com)
rabideau
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anmys on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:42 pm

rabideau wrote:Why not simply burn the current mint iso to a USB and be done with the CD size limitation?

I second this. Any machine bought even 5 years back can boot off a usb drive. So, unless you have an older machine, try avoiding the burning of iso's to cd's :-)
anmys
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mauriciocamara on Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 am

Hi Clem & The Team!

I will begin thanking you (again) for such an *excellent* distro. I use LinuxMint as my daily internet-and-general-use OS, and AVLinux as my audio recording workstation. It's useless to discuss here which one is the "best" (or "recommended") since each one has its pourposes.

Let's get to the point: I would like to
1. Begin with a LMDE ISO image (i.e. linuxmint-201403-mate-dvd-64bit.iso),
2. Add certain apps (SMPlayer, Handbrake, Iceweasel, Audacity and one thing or two), and
3. Remaster a new LiveDVD ISO image with these apps ready to run.

The apps mentioned can be normally installed thru Synaptics, however I would like to have them to run OOTB a liveDVD to run on computers with no internet connections.

My first researches pointed me to Remastersys and Reconstructor. However, I was unable to find them on Synaptics.
I kindly apologize for being a noob here. I've Google about, but unfortunately I was unable to find a suitable solution... yet. And since I can't start a new topic, this one seemed to be somehow related to what I need.

Thank you for your time. Congratulations, Clem & The Team! LMDE suits lots of my needs! ;-)
mauriciocamara
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot