LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Postby nelson777 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:53 pm

My LMDE machine won't boot, even in Recovery Mode. That happend after I tried to install fglrx drivers, didn't word, then I purged the driver and reboot. After that it frezes after a while booting. CTR-ALT-F1~9 doesn't work, and not even SysRq responds. I'tried to put quiet splash nomodeset on grub, but also didn't work. Any idea what I can do besides reinstalling ? Any relevant grub parameters ?

Thanks,
-Nelson
nelson777
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Postby nelson777 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19 am

More info: after I login with recovery mode using kernel 3.2, I was able to run sgfxi script. It installed a driver that made LDME boot ok, direct rendering on, but just for kernel 3.2. The new kernel 3.10, still locks if I try to boot it with this driver.
My board is an old ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.

-Nelson
nelson777
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE won't boot, even in Recovery Mode

Postby cwsnyder on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm

It sounds like your installation of the proprietary drivers removed the open source driver which is the normal default install in LMDE.

You might try booting with your install disk in Live mode, if you have an installation medium with the 3.10 kernel, then chroot into your LMDE installation and installing the radeon driver with:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install radeon
Log out and reboot to see if it works.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 14.10 64-bit, Xubuntu 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot