Next LMDE iso request

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Next LMDE iso request

Postby Error404 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:53 am

I don't know if the devs read the forum, but I thought I'd make a request anyway:

Please keep the nonpae kernel as default for the 32-bit LMDE iso when the next iso is published.

All of the other current Mint versions seem to require a pae-capable processor, but Debian still makes the nonpae kernel available for 32-bit systems. Due to a bug in the Intel Pentium-M processors, pae kernels won't boot. Are there really that many systems running the 32-bit version of Mint that are capable of having more than 3 Gb of RAM on the motherboard? It would seem that almost anyone able to mount enough RAM to require pae would be able to run the 64-bit version, wouldn't you say? In addition, adding the 686-pae kernel if required to the system once the iso is installed is almost a trivial task.

I'm abandoning Ubuntu for my pristine 2002 Pentium-M notebook because they have dropped the nonpae kernel. Mint LMDE runs well for me and I would hate to have to abandon it also.
Error404
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Next LMDE iso request

Postby xenopeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 pm

To clarify why you would want the 686 PAE kernel: the default 32 bit kernel on LMDE is built for 486 and compatible processors (almost 25 years old :)). This not only makes it work on non-PAE Pentium-M processors from 2002-2004, but it also makes your kernel only see one processor and one core. Installing the 686 PAE kernel is thus not only for being able to address more than 4 GB RAM, it's also for being able to use more than one core or more than one processor.

As to whether LMDE ISOs will continue to be shipped with the 486 kernel, I don't know :wink: Development team is currently fully occupied with fixing bugs from Linux Mint 16 RC and preparing the final release. A next UP for LMDE will be done no sooner than that is done I think, and indeed for the next UP also a new ISO will be built.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Next LMDE iso request

Postby Error404 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 pm

@xenopeek, thank you for clarifying the 486 vs 686pae kernel issue. Indeed, if one has a multicore processor the 686pae kernel will be the one you want for a 32-bit system. As far as I can tell, there are few applications available for 32-bit systems that are unavailable in 64-bit. All other things being equal, I would want to run my multicore computer with a 64-bit system. I am sure there are some edge cases where you might need to run a 32-bit system with a multicore processor, but for those few cases the 686pae kernel is just a line of code away in Terminal. For the rest, I am unaware of any multicore processors that require a 32-bit system.
Error404
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot