[SOLVED] Boot Issues After Installation

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Roby

[SOLVED] Boot Issues After Installation

Post by Roby »

Hello,

I just tried installing LMDE (from cd and USB - downloaded the iso twice as well). The live dvd/usb loads just fine, but when put on my system I don't reach the login screen. Just after the splash screen I receive the error:

Code: Select all

process:201:GLib-warning **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
I'm trying to install on a Toshiba Satellite L650. The process number changes each boot (if that makes any difference). I've looked into some of the other topics here with the same issue but haven't been able to resolve it yet.

Thanks for any advice =]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: Boot Issues After Installation

Post by kurotsugi »

we might need to know your hardware specs.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

As been said somewhere in Debian bug tracker, that message is a red herring. It's a message from plymouth, a software that can't shut its mouth. :)

Can you get to the console using Ctrl-Alt-F1?
Roby

Post by Roby »

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can get to the console and I've managed to login via startx.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks again :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I think we need to know what exactly loads when you run startx. Is it the display manager (most probably MDM) or the desktop environment? And what desktop environment do you use?
Roby

Post by Roby »

I logged into the console after pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then after using startx I was brought to the desktop (I'm using Cinnamon).
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I got same issue several weeks ago but sadly I forgot how did I fix it. at that time I was using lightdm for a quick alternative until I fix the problem. it might works for you too.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

If it's indeed the issue with the display manager (MDM), then it might go away when you upgrade the system. You'll have to do that to get Update Pack 7 anyway. :)
Before you do it, however, I suggest reading [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=146220]this thread[/url] since you're using Cinnamon.
Roby

Post by Roby »

Hm. Something to add: apparently my wireless card is recognized as when I click the network icon in the menu bar I am able to pick up nearby networks. However, when I go to click on my network the menu closes and nothing prompts me to connect. And obviously because of this I can't run any updates.

I've tried activating the card through the advice from some topics/YouTube videos I've stumbled across but have had no luck.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

That's a showstopper... Maybe the problem is with Cinnamon's network applet? You can load MATE edition LiveCD and check if the wireless would work there.
Roby

Post by Roby »

Thanks! I now have my system up and running. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”