Install LMDE from Backup Image

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jr121705

Install LMDE from Backup Image

Post by jr121705 »

I am currently running LMDE Mate on my lap top. At this moment it is a Linux only computer, but I need to put Windows back on it. I know that I need to install Windows first, then repartition the hard drive and reinstall Linux. I don't want to have to install LMDE and then go through all of the updates to get back to my current system. If I make a backup image of my current system, can I use that to reinstall LMDE on my computer? If so, how do I do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Install LMDE from Backup Image

Post by killer de bug »

You can repartition the hard drive now, install windows, and then install GRUB again. It will detect your current linux install and you will be able to use it again.
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

killer de bug wrote:You can repartition the hard drive now, install windows, and then install GRUB again. It will detect your current linux install and you will be able to use it again.

That is great. I thought I had to install Windows first, but this sounds much easier. Thanks for your help.
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

Well, I partitioned the hard drive and reinstalled windows, but it did not work out very well. I created a partition behind my Linux partition for Windows using gparted. However, when I installed Windows, it moved the partition that partition to the front and deleted my Linux install. I don't know what I did wrong, but it didn't work like I wanted it. Maybe because I used a systemrecovery disc to re-install Windows? Whatever caused the problem, I didn't lose anything important, but I just have to wait until the new LMDE ISO is released before I can reinstall Linux.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

windows 7 need two partition. around 100mb for the boot partition and the windows itself. windows 8 need a lot more partition. on most cases I always put linux behind windows partition since windows installer tends to ruin my linux partition.

Return to “LMDE Archive”