Question before migrating from Ubuntu to LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
clifor

Question before migrating from Ubuntu to LMDE

Post by clifor »

Hi all,

I am planning to move from Ubuntu to LMDE, but before installing LMDE, I would like to know if I can keep my home folder contents or should I back-up them and restore them after the installation.

The /home is in a separate partition. I'm almost sure that the installation will not delete any data on that partition, but what happens with all the hidden files and folders that the system puts on /home? (.config or .local for example). Will they be overwritten or deleted? Since I'm installing a new operating system, I don't want to keep them anymore and I want them to be replaced by those needed by the new operating system in order to get a fresh installation. Should I back-up my personal files and format the partition before installing LMDE?

(I know that LMDE isn't the best choice for a newbie, but I want to try it anyway).

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Question before migrating from Ubuntu to LMDE

Post by tdockery97 »

The way I've handled it in the past is to make a new folder named something like backups (not a hidden folder), and copy all of your hidden files/folders into it. Then delete all the exposed hidden files/folders and you won't get configuration interference with your LMDE install, but you'll still have a copy of them saved just in case.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
clifor

Re: Question before migrating from Ubuntu to LMDE

Post by clifor »

Thank you for your help. That's what I'm going to do.

Return to “LMDE Archive”