Gnome Debian Wheezy -> LMDE Mate questions

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Gnome Debian Wheezy -> LMDE Mate questions

Postby michaelzap on Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:36 am

Howdy -

I have a home file server running Debian stable with Gnome Shell. I'd like to install the Mate desktop environment and remove Gnome. I'm wondering if there's a how-to here somewhere or if anyone has useful advice before I start.

I imagine that what I need to do is to change my sources to the latest LMDE ones (I've seen some threads on that, but I'd like to be sure that I have the current info) and then install the Mate desktop. Is there a metapackage for the whole shebang? Any pointers as to what I should include/remove/watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome Debian Wheezy -> LMDE Mate questions

Postby Previous1 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

LMDE repo is made for testing so is unlikely to work with stable. You can use the MATE repos.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#debian_wheezy

Note that neither LMDE or the above repo offer MATE 1.8 at the moment. To remove GNOME, Google is your friend.
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Gnome Debian Wheezy -> LMDE Mate questions

Postby michaelzap on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Previous1 wrote:LMDE repo is made for testing so is unlikely to work with stable. You can use the MATE repos.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#debian_wheezy

Note that neither LMDE or the above repo offer MATE 1.8 at the moment. To remove GNOME, Google is your friend.

Somehow I didn't notice this reply until now. Thanks for the info! I'd actually be happy to switch to the LMDE/Testing repos and upgrade the whole system as well as installing Mate and removing Gnome Shell, but maybe I'll do what you suggest first and just install Mate and see how it goes. I don't really use that machine as a desktop much (just as a Samba/backup server), so the most important thing is that it always works.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot