How to transfer, and possibly edit, whatever is the output from Backup software selection (section=D1.3) on one device, in order to make it the input to Restore software selection (section=D3.2) on another device? Why I ask:
I'm setting up a newer laptop (with UP8, by installing LMDE-201403) to replace or at least backup my old "production laptop" (which is still on UP6 for reasons too embarrassing to discuss). (Both are 64-bit.) I'd like to transfer many but not all, and certainly not the same versions, of packages from the old box to the new. (E.g.,
- package=`emacs-snapshot` is not currently maintained, so I need to run package=`emacs24`
- I'm running MATE on the old box, but would prefer to run Cinnamon on the new box.
) One way to do this would be to
- run `Backup software selection` on the old box
- get and edit its output
- transfer the (hopefully edited) output to the new box
- run `Restore software selection` on the new box
Does the above proposal make sense, or am I missing something?
Is there a Better Way To Do This?
If not, and if the above seems reasonable, how do I get and transfer the necessary data?