how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Postby thelma on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi,
I have 3 partitions: root, swap and home. I would like to install LinuxDebian to replace LinuxMint 13 Mate, but keeping /home intact.
Is this possible? I had selected sda1 (where 13 Mate is) but I got root partition is needed...
Should I clear swap and / and then use this space to install LMDebian?
Would this procedure keep /home as it is now?
Thank you.
Thelma
thelma
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Postby daveinuk on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:05 pm

When in the live session you should be able to just choose 'something else' from the installer options, choose to install the OS itself to 'root' or / (put a check in the box to format it ) and leave swap alone as that won't need formating, leave your home partition alone too/ ensure you DO NOT put a tick in the box . . . . . . This is the method I use all the time to upgrade, all your home files are safe and you're re-installed in no time.

HTH

Edit: having not used a debian DE for some time I'm not sure if any desktop tweaks will still be good as you're moving from a Deb edition to an Ubuntu based one, hopefully someone else may chip in and clarify.
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Postby thelma on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi,
Thank you for the answer. I tried to install LMDE in /root but somehow I missed the box to select or unselect the partitions. Since this was my first shot, I ended up with Gparted not accepting my /home mounted. So, I went through the long way of backing up /home and did a fresh installation.
When I have more time I will try again with an old HD where I have Linux Mint 11 and no critical data to damage.
Thank you again.
Cheers,
Thelma
thelma
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot