UEFI Post-install Boot Issue

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

UEFI Post-install Boot Issue

Postby risaacma on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 am

Hello everyone. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the issue I'm experiencing with my LMDE install. I'm able to successfully boot LMDE 16 from USB and perform an install to my SSD. I verified the existence of the grubx64.efi file on the uefi partition and created bootx64.efi. I removed the USB when reboot, the system boots up grub fine and I'm able to select LinuxMint during startup, then the screen is blacked out and nothing happens. CTRL-ALT-DEL results in nothing happening. CTRL-ALT-Backspace nothings happens. Re-insert USB flash driver and reboot, boot back to grub menu, select LinuxMint once again, and the system successfully boots up Mint. Why does it work when the Flash drive is installed and blacks out the screen when booting from SSD? I tried a few of the suggestions in this forum without success. What am I missing? Using an AMD Asrock extreme3 970 MB with NVIDIA Quadro FX579 video card. Maybe I need to install NVidia drivers? Thanks.
risaacma
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: UEFI Post-install Boot Issue

Postby gtsfer on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm not too knowledgeable with SSD installs. But... are you sure you didn't inadvertently install TO the Flash drive (but somehow put GRUB on your hard disk)? When it does boot up from the Flash drive, is the "Install Linux Mint" option gone or is it still there? If this sounds too crazy, then never mind. :?
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby risaacma on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:12 pm

gtsfer wrote:I'm not too knowledgeable with SSD installs. But... are you sure you didn't inadvertently install TO the Flash drive (but somehow put GRUB on your hard disk)? When it does boot up from the Flash drive, is the "Install Linux Mint" option gone or is it still there? If this sounds too crazy, then never mind. :?

It shouldn't matter if I used an SSD or regular HDD, but I'm pretty sure the install successully completed on the SSD, because it's the only disk installed in the system. The SSD is a larger capacity drive than the usb flash drive. Thanks for trying to help though :)
risaacma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby srs5694 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm

This is something of a shot in the dark:

• Download the USB flash drive or CD-R version of my rEFInd boot manager.
  • Prepare a medium from this.
  • Boot to rEFInd. It should present you with a menu, including an option to boot GRUB (grubx64.efi) and at least one to boot a Linux kernel (vmlinuz-{something}).
  • Test the various Linux boot options.
  • If you can get any Linux boot option to work, install the Debian-package version of rEFInd in Mint.

At the very least, this procedure (or the next-to-last step) might provide you with some additional information, in the form of extra boot options. (You can get the same using GRUB by editing the boot options passed to the kernel.)
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot