BootMGR Missing - SOLVED

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ShakeyJake

BootMGR Missing - SOLVED

Post by ShakeyJake »

Hello all,

After being impressed with Cinnamon I decided to install it on my desktop instead of MATE. I also treated myself to a shiny new SSD too as I needed more space.

Every time after I install I reboot and I get the message 'BootMGR Missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Restart'. Online I have read about people having issues with creating the bootable usb sticks incorrectly, having bad downloads of LMDE itself and using stick formatted incorrectly. I have tried two separate USB sticks, both formatted to FAT32 as suggested, and both created from Unetbootin and the inbuilt LMDE tool.

I'm completely and utterly stuck, does anyone have any suggestions that I may have missed? I'm tearing my hair out unable to get to my main desktop pc.

Thanks,
Jack
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: BootMGR Missing

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi ShakeyJake,

Please don't be offended, but the obvious question is, where did you install GRUB? The correct answer should be sda (i.e. in the mbr). :wink:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ShakeyJake wrote:Every time after I install I reboot and I get the message 'BootMGR Missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Restart'.
You may have 2 hard drives now? The old whirlygig and the shiny new SSD?
That would mean that the SSD is probably sdb.
The default location for GRUB during installation is sda, as GeneBenson said.
You might have to change your boot order in the BIOS.
It would help to see the result of this command in a terminal -
sudo parted -l && sudo os-prober
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ShakeyJake

Post by ShakeyJake »

Yes, yes, I'm an idiot.

Years of building pcs, messing with fstab, lots of hard disks in a system. The last one was / on the SSD and /home on a HDD. I'm used to this. And yet still, it was looking on the HDD for grub, which I'd handily placed on the SSD.

I'll say it again: idiot. The only way I've managed to maintain some dignity is that I realised before I came back to check the thread, so technically I fixed it myself. :oops:

Thanks for your help folks.

SOLVED

Return to “LMDE Archive”