Windows 8.1 not appearing in boot menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LanternAtomika

Windows 8.1 not appearing in boot menu

Post by LanternAtomika »

I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition 64-bit on my Lenovo Windows 8 laptop in UEFI mode. I did this following a tutorial
While it installed correctly, I couldn't launch Windows 8.1 from GRUB. Still following the tutorial, i used the BIOS to boot into Windows and used EasyBCD to make some changes to the boot menu. Now, the Windows boot menu appeared (not the graphical one), but Mint wouldn't boot. I gave up (too easily, I know), removed the Mint entry from EasyBCD and formatted the partition I installed it on. I even rebooted to see if there were any problems and Windows booted just fine
Last night, I shut the laptop down. This morning, when I started it, I ended up back at the Windows boot menu with only two options: Lenovo Recovery System and Mint (the entry I manually created for LMDE in EasyBCD). Mint doesn't boot, of course, and neither does Lenovo Recovery System. The BIOS method I used earlier didn't help either. I now have no way of booting into Windows
I'm posting this using the Live USB of LMDE. I've tried using boot-repair to no avail (didn't get the URL of the boot info, though I did skim it. As expected, Windows 8 and nothing but Windows 8). I would really appreciate some help with this
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanternAtomika

Re: Windows 8.1 not appearing in boot menu

Post by LanternAtomika »

Help?
LanternAtomika

Post by LanternAtomika »

I've tried using Super Grub2 Disk to launch Windows. I get an error saying my BCD files are corrupted or missing (0x0000225). Unfortunately, since I can't boot into Windows nor do I have a recovery disk at hand, I can't try any of the solutions for this that I found googling
Ideas, please?
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

For a shot-in-the-dark approach that might get Windows booting, try the USB flash drive or CD-R version of my rEFInd boot manager. If that works, you might be able to restore the standard Windows boot manager by using the bcdedit command from an Administrator Command Prompt window:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
To do a proper diagnosis, though, more information is required. To that end, please run the Boot Info Script. This will generate a file called RESULTS.txt. Post it to a pastebin site and post back here with the URL to your document on that site.
darkomano

Post by darkomano »

As far as I know EasyBCD can only display BCD information on UEFI systems, it cannot create UEFI boot loader entries.
It seems you changed your Windows boot loader from UEFI style of booting to BIOS style of booting.

You can fix this easily using any Windows 7/8 installation or recovery CD/DVD/USB by changing Windows boot loader
from BIOS to UEFI style with bcdedit command:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set {default} path \windows\system32\winload.efi
Windows 7 installation ISO can be downloaded legally from DigitalRiver and then burned to DVD or USB.
Be sure to download 64-bit version of Windows 7 ISO.

Repair Windows 7/8 booting with download link for Win 7 ISO.

Return to “LMDE Archive”