MD5 for LMDE 2014 doesn't match [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
José Martínez

MD5 for LMDE 2014 doesn't match [Solved]

Post by José Martínez »

Hi. I've downloaded four different ISO files for LMDE 201403 Mate 32-bit (from diferent mirrors) from http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=99 and after getting their MD5 using GtKHash in LInux Mint 17 Mate I found that all of them have different MD5's and none of them match with the posted MD5 on the LMDE download web page (fa20dba24e4d321ad616b6037c06a79f.) At this point I haven't burnt any ISO image because of this. Can somebody tell me why is this happening? How I can be sure that the downloaded file is not corrupted or tampered with if the MD5 doesn't match? Thx. for any idea.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: MD5 for LMDE 2014 doesn't match

Post by gtsfer »

Try it from the command line (Terminal) like this...

Code: Select all

md5sum linuxmint-201403-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
ofb

Post by ofb »

As gtsfer says, try md5sum in the terminal.

With four downloads and four results, I'll hazard a guess that what's wrong is your download connection. Are the files four different sizes?

FWIW I use Opera for downloads. It's pretty reliable about showing when a download is properly completed, and offering a Resume function for dropped connections.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

You could try a download manager.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

I downloaded the same version in May from one of the mirrors using Opera 12.16 without problem. Miscalculations by gtkhash do not seem likely to me. Either you have serious problems with your internet connection or someone in the middle is delivering special files for you :wink:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Why not try downloading ISOs via torrents?
José Martínez

Post by José Martínez »

gtsfer wrote:Try it from the command line (Terminal) like this...

Code: Select all

md5sum linuxmint-201403-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
Thx. gtsfer. I deleted all the previus ISO images and got a fresh one and after getting the MD5 using the command line, as you suggested, it matched with the MD5 posted online (still I got a different MD5 using GtKhash: that app is gone from my computer now, something is wrong with it :-( From now on I will use the command line to check the MD5 of ISO images.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

José Martínez wrote:still I got a different MD5 using GtKhash
Very strange. I just checked my downloaded iso again with GtkHash and it works correctly (same md5sum as yours of course).

Return to “LMDE Archive”