Weird noises during boot?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Weird noises during boot?

Post by feffer »

Towards the end of the boot messages, the machine audibles almost like the old mating modems noise. Extremely annoying...and it goes on for maybe 15 seconds. Checked .xsession-errors and found this:
(cinnamon-settings-daemon:3672): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to connect to device: Failed to connect to missing device /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_7280
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2c000eb (Dropbox Se)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
The last on about the "pager" seems particularly suspect. I don't have anything like that, and not sure what the cause is?

If anyone knows what's going on, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Weird noises during boot?

Post by eanfrid »

".xsession-errors" is quite always useless for anyone who is not a dev :) Also, these messages are not related to the boot process; they belong to your Cinnamon desktop session.

The noise you hear is possibly a blocked CPU or GPU fan or the low tune internal beeper of your computer.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

Opps, sorry. I changed configuration of two machines, eliminated a kvm switch and plugged the sound plug into the WRONG place; I guess linux thought it was a pager. My bad!
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

"pager" does not refer to a piece of hardware. A pager is a program which displays (info) text with minimal operator interactivity (for page browsing and navigation). For example, "less", "more", "most" are pagers :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”