video problem with lenovo Flex15

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

video problem with lenovo Flex15

Post by joeyoung »

After installing LMDE 201403 on lenovo Flex15 laptop, booting appears to halt with black screen. On adding nomodeset to the grub options, I get a screen with graphic of LM logo briefly, then the 'failed to start X' message, followed by a terminal login which works normally with the just-installed username and password. The 'standard fix for failing to start X' suggestion among the forum postings yields "number of created screens does not match number of detected devices" and the Xorg configuration fails. Has anyone found a way around this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: video problem with lenovo Flex15

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

could you post the output of
inxi -Gxz
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

The output from inxi -Gxz is:
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.org: 1.14.3 drivers: fbdev,vesa,intel tty size: 170x48 Advanced Data: N/A out of X

(I re-typed the output to edit out the coloured text formatting escape codes.)

...Joe
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

a normal copy past would be better, we miss some info here but already it seems xorg is not configured correctly.
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

Follow-up:

I just noticed on trying a re-boot that a VERY dim image of the usual LM green logo was fading to black. So, using a flashlight to illuminate the screen I could see the login window. With some difficulty getting the cursor into position, when I type in the password, the boot-up continues and ends up with the mint welcome screen, fully illuminated, all working normally.

So, the problem seems to be only that the screen backlight gets turned off during the login screen. I guess that is still saying that Xorg is not configured correctly, but it's a narrowly focused problem.

...Joe
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

first check again

Code: Select all

inxi -Gxz
then try this
http://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/
joeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeyoung »

Now inxi -Gxz produces:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
The suggestion for adding an intel section to Xorg configuration did not make any difference to the bootup darkness. In fact, the screen brightness buttons were working before adding the section.
However, bringing my attention to those buttons, I now also realize that hitting the brighten (ALT F12) button actually brings the screen into visibility. So, I would say this has become largely solved.
...Joe

Return to “LMDE Archive”