HelpMe Installing LINUX MINT DEBIAN (Not booting)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Zero004

HelpMe Installing LINUX MINT DEBIAN (Not booting)

Post by Zero004 »

Hi ,

i'am having and issue booting Linux mint on my machine, Here is the problem

First i got and acer laptop Aspirev5-561g
with Amd radeon Graphic card R7 M265

My bios mode :

Boot mode :UEFI
Secure boot enable by default

I got Opensuse already install on my machine , but i want to remove that and install LMDE ,

When i boot up the machine i got . GNU GRUB

I select

Start linux mint mate 64-bit (UP8)

Black screen nothing happen ..

Start Linux mint mate 64-bit (UP8) (compatibility mode)

Same stuff nothing happen i just got a black screen ,

can somebody Help me out please i really want to install this version on my Laptop :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: HelpMe Installing LINUX MINT DEBIAN (Not booting)

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Zero004.

I am pretty sure that EFI boot is all right. I.e. Linux Mint Debian Edition 64-bit can be installed on EFI boot systems.
Yet, I am also pretty sure that for any Linux Mint edition "secure boot" has to be switched off, because Mint has not got the required certificate.
I could imagine that this is the reason why booting the live/installation system does not get much further than to the Grub menu.
You might try again, go into the Grub menu, and remove "quiet splash" from the kernel options.
This should make the boot process pretty verbose. In particular you will be able to read the last messages before it stops.

Hope this helps a bit,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

either opensuse and grub is working so I guess it's not an EFI/UEFI problem. since you mentioned amd graphic it could be a graphical issue. I tried to look more information about the hardware and I found it's quite new hardware. the problem is that LMDE haven't got updated since Feb 2014 and your hardware might not supported yet. you can try too add 'nomodeset' or 'forcevesa' to forcefully boot your system. the bad news, even if you succesfully boot your cinnamon will likely run on compatibility mode and extremely slow.

personally I'd suggest to not use LMDE it's abandoned (i.e mint team doesn't provide support. you don't get security patch or any bug fix) until 'only God knows when'.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

karlchen wrote:Hel
Yet, I am also pretty sure that for any Linux Mint edition "secure boot" has to be switched off, because Mint has not got the required certificate.
I could imagine that this is the reason why booting the live/installation system does not get much further than to the Grub menu.
I do agree with you. This is most probably the issue.

Return to “LMDE Archive”