EFI boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rickabillie

EFI boot

Post by rickabillie »

I want to install LMDE on this laptop. This is the first time I have ever been asked/required to do anything with EFI. As you can see, I have Mint, Ubuntu and Peppermint installed and none of them made me make an EFI partition. Is there a way around this? If no, could I install an older version of LMDE (and where would I find that?).
I suppose I could use a live partitioner and move everything, make that EFI partition and then install like it wants but then I'd worry (since I've never done this) that it might screw with my other installs.
Thanks for any help/advice

/Richard
IMG_20141128_140835 (1).jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
py-thon

Re: EFI boot

Post by py-thon »

Are you sure that you want to install LMDE right now?
LMDE does no longer roll but is move to Debian Stable in spring 2015.
rickabillie

Post by rickabillie »

Thanks Py, I didn't know that.
Do you know if current install would just switch over or will it be a reboot of LMDE?
I use LMDE for a few reasons:
Slightly faster, some of my hardware is older
I have been able to install Gnome 3 on it while I can't seem to get it to work on the standard Mint installs (64bit Mate or Cinn) (and the machine which is slightly faster has touch and I wanted to try it with Gnome3)
I have been able to get Sketchup to work in it (in WINE of course)

/Richard
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

instead of using LMDE for the installation i'd suggest to use debian testing iso.
- you won't lose the speed
- you got gnome out of the box
- you got newer wine with better windows compatibility. you can even use wine 1.7 if you add liquorix

after the installation you can add mint's repo so that you can 'mintify' your system.
rickabillie

Post by rickabillie »

kurotsugi,
what repo do I add?
do I have to do anything after that?
Thanks, I am trying this.
/Richard

Return to “LMDE Archive”