Grub stopped EFI-booting for me on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pda

Grub stopped EFI-booting for me on LMDE

Post by pda »

After an initially-successful install, I added a bunch of additional packages and somehow ended up in this odd situation. While I can boot the system externally using rEFInd, I've not been able to get grub back in working order, even after the usual "apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64", grub-install, etc.

What happens when attempting to boot from my SSD is I get a crash and stack trace. I'm suspecting /boot/efi/EFI/linuxmint/grubx64.efi -- can anyone explain where it comes from? It doesn't appear to belong to any packages, so I'm guessing grub creates it somehow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Grub stopped EFI-booting for me on LMDE

Post by kukamuumuka »

How about if you remove rEFInd?
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
pda

Post by pda »

I'm currently only using rEFInd from a USB stick, but given that, and seeing other reports of its success -- looks like I'll end up putting on my SSD to boot from there. The only other option I can see is re-installing from scratch. The only value to that might be that I could watch more closely to see where things went wrong, but I'm not really desperate enough to find the answer to that.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

pda wrote:I'm currently only using rEFInd from a USB stick, but given that, and seeing other reports of its success -- looks like I'll end up putting on my SSD to boot from there. The only other option I can see is re-installing from scratch. The only value to that might be that I could watch more closely to see where things went wrong, but I'm not really desperate enough to find the answer to that.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
pda

Post by pda »

Thanks, yes, I knew of boot-repair as well, and have now had a chance to try it... unfortunately my problem is not solved, although this tool does start out looking oh-so-promising. Very impressive that it found all my filesystems, even though everything except /boot is on logical volumes. I'm suspecting now that the grub coming with the distro works well, but that some upgrade afterwards breaks things. I'll report back if I gt to the bottom of it.
pda

Re: Grub stopped EFI-booting for me on LMDE [Solved]

Post by pda »

Perhaps not solved in the ideal fashion... giving up on grub in favour of refind did the trick for me.

I'm thinking this may warrant a bug against debian, and I'll keep a much closer eye on grub when I'm building another similar system in the near future.

Return to “LMDE Archive”