Video of installing LMDE in Virtualbox on XP

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ukbrian

Video of installing LMDE in Virtualbox on XP

Post by ukbrian »

This is a 40 MB 30 minutes long video that my 9 year old grandson watched a few times
and then did a successful install of LMDE on his XP machine so it might be of help to someone else.

If you download it rather than streaming the video it's much kinder to my bandwidth and you can watch/share the video multiple times.
streaming video link at http://lin.me.uk/mint/tutorials/vbox/in ... -guest.wmv
download file from http://lin.me.uk/mint/tutorials/vbox/in ... -guest.zip
unzip to .wmv and it will play in VLC

This is the Virtualbox(VB) machine .vdi that I used in the above, it will install on any OS running VB
http://lin.me.uk/mint/vbox/Mint.zip 3.9GB
A short video of how to install it into VB
http://lin.me.uk/mint/tutorials/vbox/vbox-mint.wmv

Other videos
Video of default LMDE Firefox profile using Speed Dial http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56180
Video of customizing the main menu(panel) http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=56449
Video of putting a big red shut down button on the panel http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 98#p325298

All feedback good or bad and suggestions for other video are very welcome :D
ukbrian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
secipolla

Re: Video of installing LMDE in Virtualbox on XP

Post by secipolla »

Thanks ukbrian. Info on Virtualbox, installing LMDE and even a few customizing tips all simply put.

Your difficulty with finding the proper command to run the guest additions installation was educational too but maybe you forgot the tab completion?

Regards.

P.S. although I have been using LXDE, I have GNOME installed too and I think maybe I was making its use more complicated by not setting Nautilus to tree view. I'll try it and also explore other options it may have, thanks.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Thanks for the info secipolla I am really a GUI man but I can remember what things where like before Windows 3.1 came out and then 95, everything was on the command line.
What would be a very big help to me is if you know what the commands would be if I added two buttons to the menu panel,
one to shut down and one to restart without that screen appearing in the middle of the monitor,
I want to put a big red shut down button there that directly closes the machine down.

why when a screen pops up in the center when your clicking a button in the top/bottom left corner is beyond belief, so M$ like
It should pop up where you click not half a mile away, I'll bet the developers spend their lives on the keyboard :D

thanks again for your trouble
bri
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

I'm no Linux expert but if you make a script with the command sudo halt and then a launcher to it it may work (same for sudo reboot).
You must set it to not ask for a password, so run sudo visudo to edit /etc/sudoers and put in there

Code: Select all

ukbrian ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/halt
ukbrian ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot 
Also I have an old machne with an old keyboard and it has a "Power" key (next to F12 and besides "Sleep" and "Wake"). If I press it the computer shuts down. I don't know how clean or not it is.
rsw

Post by rsw »

I randomly came across this video and have to say I enjoyed it. The interface tweaking was interesting but when you dropped to the command line I wanted to holler the answer out for you. Good video regardless, I hope you make more.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

@ secipolla :D You might not regard yourself as a "Linux expert" but to me and a lot of other folks you have helped on this forum you're an absolute guru and thank you for your time. :D

I tried your suggestions for my shut-down and restart buttons 2 days ago and I failed so I went on to other things Image
Today I had another bash because I really wanted those buttons, I did it in on a Mint Virtualbox install running on Mint as a host. :lol: and it worked first time so my novices menus look like this now
Every time I click one of those buttons I smile and think of you :oops: thank you

Now I have another query, :oops: is it possible to remove the bottom section of the menu, from Places down?
I feel that with a Nautilus icon on the panel these entries are just clutter Image

@ rsw
Thank you for your feedback and encouragement :D The strange thing is that after making a video of some app you have used for ages, when you watch a play back you see things you have never noticed when you have been using the app, you have time to absorb the whole screen I suppose.

If you have any tips/hints to improve the videos which are aimed at children and novices please tell me. :D
The Speed Dial extension for Firefox changed things big time for me, no more bookmarks, they are really old school now.

ukbrian
PS
I've added a link in the first post to download the Virtualbox machine .vdi that will install into anyone's Virtualbox installation
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Remove the all in one menu and put the menubar (standard GNOME menu). Then open the "Main Menu" app and uncheck "Places" and "System".
I'm guessing cos I'm not on GNOME (I'm mostly an LXDE user).
Also maybe you could add a launcher to the Control Center otherwise the users won't be able to reach the system settings except by launching it manually (alt+f2).
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I always remove the Mint menu and add the Gnome main menu to the panel as my novice users find the Mint menu very confusing
but the Gnome menu developers have not included the lower entries from "Places down" in the right hand panel of "edit menu" so you can unselect them :(
I understand the developers thinking but disagree with them, I just went to the http://www.gnome.org site and can't see anywhere to ask about menus.
I like the edit menu screen for Gnome it's very, very well done, it's just what they have omitted from it.
Also maybe you could add a launcher to the Control Center otherwise the users won't be able to reach the system settings except by launching it manually (alt+f2).
It's very much "Horses for coarses" one lady I put a laptop together for is only happy if Firefox auto starts with facebook loaded and Rythmbox playing her music and that applies to most of the folk(novices) I help, most of what they do nowadays(games) are browser based so they need a good menu system in their browser and the Firefox add-on Speed Dial does that admirably you can launch apps or gadgets from it.
The other thing they like to autoload is aMSN, I've shown them Pidgin but they are happier in aMSN.
It normally takes them a long time before they use the OS menu so I like to keep it small and simple. :D but right click and add a menu isn't very difficult.

Ideally I think what I need is a tree menu written in Java that will run on any OS Desktop that I can tweak but most/all seem to be written to run in a browser rather than on the desktop. I might communicate with this guy later http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Prog ... Genie.html

I downloaded LXDE and looked at the menus but didn't see an easy way to create a quick launch bar where you could dragndrop things but it was a quick look.

Every OS/app has a menu and that is the most important part, it is the end users point of contact with any OS/app, they assume that an OS/app does what it's supposed to do but the menu is their contact point, the end user experience, it's got to be intuitive.

I started up a small roofing company in the late 80's and had a friend who developed bespoke databases using a system called Sculptor which would compile into Unix or Dos. I visited him on a Sunday for many years and I learned how to tweak screen forms. :D
One app came out that had a top line drop down menu system, up till then all apps used the bottom two lines for menus and info, immediately all the other apps brought out top line menus.
Then Windows 3.1 came out and the OS menu went back to the bottom and while you can move it to the top most Windozs apps even now haven't been written to allow for this outrageous behavior. Image, Linux allows this thankfully. :D and all apps have stayed with topline menus.
Folk look up not down, down is where the small print is, not important stuff.

M$ do do some good things worth copying/improving but not their bad things like bottom line menus, big obese menus and other daft things like you click on shut down and a "are you sure" screen pops up miles from where you clicked the original button, I still smile when I click my big red shut down button and it does what you expect it to do, shut down!. Thank you again, I use it for my novices but not the "restart" one, they don't ever restart.

After this post I will go to Tutorials/Howtos and the Community site and add the links to what we have done.
ukbrian
PS
Very unimpressed with the Community site, I think they have designed it to be pretty not functional, you can't preview a post before you submit it, sorry "Save this Tutorial" it, what's wrong with submit is it to simple/universal?
Well I posted it but can't see it anywhere all I can see is this

You are also promoting the following tutorials:

No tutorials promoted.

One day I might find out what it means but I doubt I will go back to the Community website, certainly not a user friendly place for me.

I just posted in Tutorials/Howtos and then found there were 32 stickies which might indicate the need to have some categories. to separate things a little but this newcomer has learnt his lesson and I will stop making suggestions to try improve things for newcomers Image
fairmaina

Post by fairmaina »

Why is dvd player not reading the dvd i created with my flip camera? I finally figured out how to save the movie from the flip software on to a dvd. I go to play it yesterday in my dvd player and it gives the message unknown..I dont know what the problem could be,you can view the dvd on a computer but it wont work in the dvd player. Any suggestions? This flip movie has given me many problems,im about to return it if i cant view the videos i take on a dvd player..

Return to “LMDE Archive”