Can't boot LMDE from my usb stick?!

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't boot LMDE from my usb stick?!

Postby panzer on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:40 pm

I have downloaded LMDE and then installed it into my usb stick via unetbootin.
When I try to boot, a message saying somehing like that:
Code: Select all
 Boot Failed.
Live-initramfs will now start a shell.
Can not mount  /dev/loop0 (/live/image/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

It's strange because a few weeks ago, I could start LMDE from my usb key. Now, it does not work. :shock:
I checked md5sum and it's ok.
Any idea?
Thanks
panzer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't boot LMDE from my usb stick?!

Postby homework on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi.

I am a totally newbie in Linux world, I like to install the distro on my USB stick to see if the distro suits my needs
without worrying about conflicts with Windows on my HDD. What I can say is that I tried unetbootin only two times.
Only one time I managed to make the distro working by installing it this way. In my opinion, there might one problem
occured, something has damaged your boot loader so it wont work - only amateur guess, but what I know for sure is
that many distros have their own installation process right on LiveDVD/CD, so you can run the LiveDVD or CD and
install the system on your USB stick right from there. Untill now I've installed about 4-5 distros and they worked very
well, nothing happend with the boot loader on the USB stick. Try that, too. In my opinion it's the same - you can lose
nothing. The only difference is that this way you actually install the distro on the USB stick and the other way, there
is only LiveDVD/CD files transferred from DVD/CD to USB, so you can boot from USB, but it's not actually installed.
homework
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot