LMDE wont work with RAID

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Important information

Have you successfully installed LMDE on a RAID setup?

No, It failed every time
100%
Yes, but it took a lot of work arounds
No votes
Yes, it went perfect
No votes

Total votes : 1

LMDE wont work with RAID

Postby rdonnelly on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 am

I was happy to think I was going to be doing my last Mint install for as long as I owned my Dell Dimension 3100. I have a RAID setup and have been running the Ubuntu distros of Mint for a few years. When I went to install LMDE it first gave me a choice of 2 hard drives even though they should appears as one with RAID set in bios. Another thing in the Mint home folder it displayed my 2 500GB HDs as on big HD of 907GB? So I used Gparted, did the format, and ran install. On shut down the screen displayed "failed to enumerate USB port 2" for quite a while, so I hit the power button. When I powered back up I got "grub loading" and that is as far as I got.

So I did a new install, still seeing two HDs instead of one RAID. On shut down got the same USB error over and over, so I went to bed and thought maybe it is part of the install routine? 7 hours later it is still trying to enumerate the USB. Shut it down, and got a GRUB error. Went to my wifes computer to the Linux Mint forums to find I am not the only one with RAID problems.

Well guys I hope you can get this right by the time we get to the next distro and it is time for a new install. I will happily enjoy Julia until that time, thanks for all your effort on a great OS.

Bob
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE wont work with RAID

Postby mads on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:41 am

Hi Bob.

I have never used RAID in Linux, and this is only a wild guess, but could hopefully give you a hint.

There are 3 packages in Synaptic that are not installed by default.
1. dmraid: dmraid discovers, activates, deactivates and displays properties of software RAID sets (eg, ATARAID) and contained DOS partitions.
2. libdmraid1.0.0.rc16: This package contains the dmraid shared library, which implements the back half of dmraid, including on-disk metadata formats.
3. libdmraid-dev: This package contains the header files needed to link programs against dmraid.

I guess that when you boot with live DVD, and just before you install LMDE, you should install dmraid package (which will also install libdmraid1.0.0.rc16), like this:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install dmraid

If asked for password, click ENTER. When you have done this, you can try to install LMDE.

PS! I have written this only to give you a hint. I haven't done any research, and as I said earlier, it is only a wild guess. :)
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rdonnelly on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks, I already installed Julia, but I will keep this in mind next time I decide to upgrade. I need to keep my system up, and cant have it down for experiments.
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rdonnelly on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Well, I tried it again with the Christmas release, still sees 2 hard drives during the install. Still has the problem with a RAID setup.
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot