LMDE wont work with RAID

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Have you successfully installed LMDE on a RAID setup?

No, It failed every time
100%
Yes, but it took a lot of work arounds
No votes
Yes, it went perfect
No votes

Total votes: 1

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

LMDE wont work with RAID

Post by rdonnelly »

I was happy to think I was going to be doing my last Mint install for as long as I owned my Dell Dimension 3100. I have a RAID setup and have been running the Ubuntu distros of Mint for a few years. When I went to install LMDE it first gave me a choice of 2 hard drives even though they should appears as one with RAID set in bios. Another thing in the Mint home folder it displayed my 2 500GB HDs as on big HD of 907GB? So I used Gparted, did the format, and ran install. On shut down the screen displayed "failed to enumerate USB port 2" for quite a while, so I hit the power button. When I powered back up I got "grub loading" and that is as far as I got.

So I did a new install, still seeing two HDs instead of one RAID. On shut down got the same USB error over and over, so I went to bed and thought maybe it is part of the install routine? 7 hours later it is still trying to enumerate the USB. Shut it down, and got a GRUB error. Went to my wifes computer to the Linux Mint forums to find I am not the only one with RAID problems.

Well guys I hope you can get this right by the time we get to the next distro and it is time for a new install. I will happily enjoy Julia until that time, thanks for all your effort on a great OS.

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
mads

Re: LMDE wont work with RAID

Post by mads »

Hi Bob.

I have never used RAID in Linux, and this is only a wild guess, but could hopefully give you a hint.

There are 3 packages in Synaptic that are not installed by default.
1. dmraid: dmraid discovers, activates, deactivates and displays properties of software RAID sets (eg, ATARAID) and contained DOS partitions.
2. libdmraid1.0.0.rc16: This package contains the dmraid shared library, which implements the back half of dmraid, including on-disk metadata formats.
3. libdmraid-dev: This package contains the header files needed to link programs against dmraid.

I guess that when you boot with live DVD, and just before you install LMDE, you should install dmraid package (which will also install libdmraid1.0.0.rc16), like this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dmraid
If asked for password, click ENTER. When you have done this, you can try to install LMDE.

PS! I have written this only to give you a hint. I haven't done any research, and as I said earlier, it is only a wild guess. :)
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Thanks, I already installed Julia, but I will keep this in mind next time I decide to upgrade. I need to keep my system up, and cant have it down for experiments.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Well, I tried it again with the Christmas release, still sees 2 hard drives during the install. Still has the problem with a RAID setup.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE

Return to “LMDE Archive”