Install from USB pendrive [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install from USB pendrive [SOLVED]

Postby solainix on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Hello,

I have tried to prepare a USB install pendrive from LMDE 64 bit using Unetbootin but it did not work. I see something like "operating system missing" and then the computer automatically boots from the hard drive. I have also tried using dd to write the iso file to the USB drive. To no avail.

I am currently using Aptosid and I have installed it from an USB stick. Any ideas on how to install LMDE from a USB pendrive?

Kind regards
Last edited by solainix on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
solainix
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install from USB pendrive

Postby linmint777 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:45 pm

I am currently using Aptosid

great distro until linux mint kde x64 arrives.
about your issue, i recommended install the first release of mint debian and later update via apt to newer version.
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com
linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Postby wayne128 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:52 pm

solainix wrote:Hello,

I have tried to prepare a USB install pendrive from LMDE 64 bit using Unetbootin but it did not work. I see something like "operating system missing" and then the computer automatically boots from the hard drive. I have also tried using dd to write the iso file to the USB drive. To no avail.

I am currently using Aptosid and I have installed it from an USB stick. Any ideas on how to install LMDE from a USB pendrive?

Kind regards

I had no problem installing the LMDE 64-bit version from USB stick prepared by unetbootin.

Since you saw the computer could not find OS in USB stick and went to hard disk to boot up, then it means the USB stick has no boot code on it.
You could just redo the procedure. BY the way I format USB stick by FAT32 first before asking unetbootin to prepare the USB stick.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Suo_Eno on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:01 am

wayne128 wrote:You could just redo the procedure. BY the way I format USB stick by FAT32 first before asking unetbootin to prepare the USB stick.

And when that fails (in my case anyways for a couple of times on prev LMDE even), it's time to re-download the .iso again and fall back to dd if=/where/you/put/the/.iso/.iso proper syntax of=/dev/sdx <= your USB stick should unetbootin can't seem to get the job done.Botched up .iso downloads happens easily easy for lazy bums like me since I rarely do md5 checks ;p.That and also it's because I'm Malaysian with a unicorns ISP so I had to resume broken downloads most of the time even from closer mirrors.

Before you do the dd routine if you have a Windows rig with the .iso ready to move there, you can also prep these 2 live USB tools; SUSE Studio Image Writer and Fedora's Live USB Creator for use.For Image Writer you'll need to rename the .iso to .raw before you start.These 2 are my lifesavers.
Suo_Eno
Level 2
Level 2

Postby crispata on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:19 am

I found myself needing to install from a pendrive due to finding that we had no blank dvd's left. I'd never done this before, but used the tool from the OMGUbuntu article below with no problems. It's not super polished, and because of that the hardest thing about it is that you just don't expect it to be so easy to use (or at least I didn't), but it really is dead simple.

You seem to say your problem might be the .iso, and I don't know whether this method is easier than the other commonly suggested ones, but I was able to boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD and install and use this tool on the first try to create a bootable live-usb stick with the Christmas Eve release LMDE .iso, and had no problems installing from that. There's even a video at the link below showing him installing and using the tool. The instructions on the tool's homepage are actually confusing, just do exactly as OMGUbuntu says...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/easi ... usb-stick/
crispata
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install from USB pendrive [SOLVED]

Postby solainix on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:02 am

OK, pre-formating as FAT32 and adding the boot flag with GParted solved the issue and I am currently writing you from the liveDVD.

The distro looks really great. However, I would like to be able to set up encrypted logical volumes from the installer...
solainix
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot