[Solved] Is using the same /home partition with LMDE and

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Is using the same /home partition with LMDE and

Postby conslie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:45 am

Mint 10 OK?

I have set it to use another partition as its /home, but realized this means that email and browser bookmarks or adding a music CD and all that when done on LMDE or LM10 will not be 'known' by the other. (I originally opted to use the same /home, but encountering a problem decided to make a completely new /home -- later discovered that /home content was not related to that [Solved] problem.)

Both are 64-bit, so that is not a factor. My belief is that using the same /home for all distros within the Debian branch is no problem, but letting both 32 and 64-bit variants write to it could be. But that is based on rumor (32/64) and only limited experience (LM8,9,10 all worked fine with only a few tiny cosmetic glitches)

I like what I saw when using LMDE, and will either reinstall with the old /home or, if someone can tell me how, reassign /home from sda6 to sda8.

Any advice?

For the record, running LM the first time made (I'll have say nearly) me as delighted as booting up an Amiga1000 the first time. The first WOW!! since the A3000 died.
Last edited by conslie on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is using the same /home partition with LMDE and Mint 10

Postby linXea on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:16 am

Yes, you can easily change /home to another partition. Using same /home (mountpoint) for multiple OSes, no problem at all, just don't use the exact same username since that will create conflicts. If you want to "share" stuff between useraccounts on /home, either copy/duplicate or create symlinks between them both. Migrating to the same /home partition is basically just a matter of edit /etc/fstab and direct it to the right mountpoint. Take a look at this guide; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving , it should be pretty straight forward how to achieve what you want.
Dektop: AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, ATI HD3650silent, 33TB harddrive
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad x201, Intel core2centrino P9600, 4GB RAM, 750gb
linXea
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is using the same /home partition with LMDE and Mint 10

Postby conslie on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 am

Thank you for your advice and the link. I'm getting a better understanding of how Linux works, beyond as I play around.
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] Is using the same /home partition with LMDE and

Postby linXea on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:55 am

You're welcome, and thanks for adding [SOLVED] in topic :D
Dektop: AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, ATI HD3650silent, 33TB harddrive
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad x201, Intel core2centrino P9600, 4GB RAM, 750gb
linXea
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot