[SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby malligt on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:18 am

Just downloaded and installed 2011 32bit LMDE on a live usb drive from HEAnet.

Black screen of death is still present .....(very sorry to post this)

EDIT: 12/31/2010 According to Clem, the wrong 2011 ISO had mistakenly been sent to the mirror sites. He asks us to wait until he makes the official announcement of the (corrected) 2011 01 32bit release.
Last edited by malligt on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby rdonnelly on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:44 am

It is the video, Nvidia does this. I have Intel OB video as well, I can get to the install if I set it to OB and move the monitor cable to the OB port. I was never able to successfully install LMDE yet?
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
User avatar
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby malligt on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 am

I've been successfully running the first (201009) 32bit version of LMDE on a Dell 8400 desktop computer. I also have that version on a live usb drive.

I thought it would be time to put the newer release version on a usb pendrive to a.) replace the older version and b.) to demonstrate to friends clients etc....

The 2011 01 version 32 bit version I mentioned above starts up as expected (with all the scripts, etc.).... but then it just goes black and STAYS black.....never reaching the linux mint splash screen.....

It is my belief that the 2010-12 32 bit version of LMDE should be immediately withdrawn from the mirror sites to avoid further conflicts, but hey, it's just my 2 cents here...

I know they'll get it fixed....
malligt
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby spsf64 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:59 am

Just downloaded the new 2011-01 iso 32 bit, still no go…
Same problems as before with endless beeps and black screen on nvidia VGA
I think 32bit won't succeed :( Why not just a RC or Beta before the release?
The Team should remove all the 32bit ISOs from servers, it will hurt Mint's reputation really bad...
Last edited by spsf64 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergio
User avatar
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby malligt on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:20 am

@spsf64

You can still download the 2010 09 32bit version, that does work, and then go thru the sudo apt-get update, and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade....and you'll have the latest version....

But the point is that the 2010 12, and 2011 01 in 32 bit have major issues to be resolved....The Mint Dev team is the absolute best in the linux world, and the'll fix this....

Yes, it's kinda sad that this glitch/bug happened, but we're all human, and in a constant pursuit of perfection.

Mint is tops in that pursuit in my opinion...
malligt
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby oldrong on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Just a question. Have any of you tried to insert "nomodeset" into the boot parameters at boot up on the "live"DVD?
I believe there is an option to add, or change the boot parameters before booting to the live screen. If indeed it works, you will have to install, then do the same thing at boot into the newly installed system, install the proper Nvidia drivers, and then reboot.
I had to do this with all installs based on Debian, or Ubuntu since about two versions back, but it did work. I don't have that PC any longer to test it on, but it may be worth a shot.
User avatar
oldrong
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby defcon on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm

malligt wrote:Just downloaded and installed 2011 32bit LMDE on a live usb drive from HEAnet.

Black screen of death is still present .....(very sorry to post this)



Please wait with install until clem has announced that 2011.01 is official out.
User avatar
defcon
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby Nottyl on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:17 pm

I have the new live dvd freeze at "avahi dsn deamon" or something to that effect. The live seems to have problems with the network. In any case it cannot boot.
Nottyl
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 am

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby Kittum on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 pm

I suppose I am posting this to be a bit of encouragement.

Has anyone that has installed 2011 01 32bit, have they (perhaps you) some good news to report about it?

I have to admit that events like this bring out some things to admire about this little community. Clem and company was up front about a few rough edges along the way; they were honest about that. On the other hand, here are all the rest of us participating in this little project anyway. I'm not sure what to call it but brave and adventurous comes to mind and I like being a part of that. :)
I did not like the looks from Vista and its sequel is an abuse of the number 7!
Image
User avatar
Kittum
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Black Mesa, Oklahoma U.S.

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby randomizer on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Why are you guys installing from an ISO that has not yet been finished?
User avatar
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby oldrong on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:33 pm

randomizer wrote:Why are you guys installing from an ISO that has not yet been finished?
There was a release on Distro Watch, and I believe that is what they are using.
User avatar
oldrong
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby willie42 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 pm

This can be looked at as a test of the software. you have to think that they work hard and trying to solve the BSOD. They are working on it.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
User avatar
willie42
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: Oak Ridge, TN USA

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby Illuminati2012 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:56 am

Here is what Clem said in the comments on the blog about LMDE:

I forgot to mention three important things:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.

Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610#comments

It's not yet finished.
Illuminati2012
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:37 am

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby oldrong on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 am

Illuminati2012 wrote:Here is what Clem said in the comments on the blog about LMDE:

I forgot to mention three important things:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.

Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610#comments

It's not yet finished.
Maybe not, but it is on Distrowatch, as a release, on 12/24/2010
User avatar
oldrong
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby cpatrick08 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:59 am

oldrong wrote:
Illuminati2012 wrote:Here is what Clem said in the comments on the blog about LMDE:

I forgot to mention three important things:

- Please do not download the ISO until it is officially announced (We’ll be releasing 201101 shortly but it’s not available yet. If you managed to download it already, you’re just running the wrong ISO.)
- If you downloaded 201012 and you’re getting a black screen you can try the following kernel arguments: “nomodeset” for nvidia, “nouveau.modeset=0″ for nforce/gforce and generic, “radeon.modeset=0″ for ATI cards. This should let you boot the live session and install LMDE. Post-install you’ll be running an up-to-date kernel, so you won’t need to modify your grub settings for things to work.
- The upcoming 201101 ISO should work fine for most chipsets in normal or compatibility modes without using any modesetting kernel arguments. I could personally observe that on two nvidia and one intel systems. We’ll be testing the ISO on more systems, including ATI chipsets, before releasing it.

Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1610#comments

It's not yet finished.
Maybe not, but it is on Distrowatch, as a release, on 12/24/2010

the one on the distrowatch page is the 201012 the one that clem is saying that is not finished is the 201101 iso
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby randomizer on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:47 am

oldrong wrote:There was a release on Distro Watch, and I believe that is what they are using.

The title of this thread indicates that we are talking about the unfinished ISO.
User avatar
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby oldrong on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 am

randomizer wrote:
oldrong wrote:There was a release on Distro Watch, and I believe that is what they are using.

The title of this thread indicates that we are talking about the unfinished ISO.
None the less, the release on Distrowatch is having the same results (black screen of death, also in the title)and a friend on the Peppermint forum is experiencing the same issues with that 386 release. Thats all I am trying to get across.
User avatar
oldrong
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: [SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby gotjazz on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:43 pm

well - distrowatch has 201012 - not 201101. And in 201012 that's a known problem and the whole point of 201101 (which is NOT released yet) is fixing just that.....
Image
User avatar
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: [SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby Striker on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:09 am

Lookie here:

Edit: link deleted.

It's a mirror, and I don't know if it's official, but it's there.
Last edited by Striker on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's no place like ~/sweet~/.
User avatar
Striker
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: ~/sweet~/

Re: [SOLVED] 201101 LMDE THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH CONTINUES

Postby randomizer on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:22 am

Just wait until the official announcement on the blog. Then you will know that it is official.
User avatar
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests