annoying GRUB prompt

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dante19992

annoying GRUB prompt

Post by dante19992 »

when starting my comp Grub prompts me to choose between my current kernel and my current kernel in recovery mode. this annoys me. is there any way to set it so i wont get this prompt like when im using the main edition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BubbaBlues

Re: annoying GRUB prompt

Post by BubbaBlues »

I just use startupmanager to set the prompt to last 1 second. That way it just goes through so fast you hardly even see it.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

while useful id like to kno if there is a way to actually stop the annoying prompt before i use that method. what can i say im a bit of a perfectionist.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Maybe set it to 0 seconds might work?

Some people set it to 10 seconds so as they can choose from which of their 15 different kernels they'd like to experiment with that day :lol:
c0nsaw

annoying GRUB prompt

Post by c0nsaw »

0 seconds as mentioned above with startup manager, will sort it ! Will make it awkward tho. If sometime you need to get into recovery mode !! 1 second is a good choice

@Tapatalk
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

You will find the following entry in /etc/default/grub file:

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

Edit the file as super user (after taking a backup of course :) ) and simply remove the 'hash'; then run 'sudo update-grub'. Recovery entries gone!!

cheers,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

alright thank u. now then one last question. does anyone kno how to edit your login screen?
c0nsaw

annoying GRUB prompt

Post by c0nsaw »

What you want to do with it ? Ubuntu-tweak is a handy app, lets you do some editing there, very easily

@Tapatalk
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I want to make sure I see all of the kernel options at boot. I guess that comes from running pure Debian so much. :wink:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

c0nsaw wrote:What you want to do with it ? Ubuntu-tweak is a handy app, lets you do some editing there, very easily
will it let me change my theme and background of my login screen with LMDE without fudging the system?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Using Ubuntu Tweak in LMDE might work, but really is not your best course of action. Installing Ubuntu-based applications on a Debian-based system can lead to unforeseen results. Chances are that it will be OK, and as long as you have your /home or /data partition separate, you should have no worries if a reinstall is warranted.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

well its my only real option. i tried editing the .conf file i tried using the method i use for LM10 main i tried all that jazz and it aint working. and no worried im doing a brand new install to LMDE anyways so yeaaaaaa
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

If you are trying to change the art work then you have to edit many connected files which are not all obvious and some of them automatically update others and you may have to update-grub afterwards.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

tried it it didnt work
anmys

Post by anmys »

I have changed the "theme" a bit : a different background image and different colors for the text (normal and highlighted). It is quite simple.

The relevant entries are in the file /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh which is sourced by the file /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme.
The contents of the file are thus (changed for my machine)

Code: Select all

WALLPAPER=/boot/grub/grub-wallpaper-ch.png
COLOR_NORMAL=light-gray/black
COLOR_HIGHLIGHT=yellow/black
Change them and as root run update-grub. That gives you the new "theme"

Regards.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i meant actually applying a new theme

Return to “LMDE Archive”